Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Need advice about ds and kinder - long but please help

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 81 Replies
Ds is 4. Our cut off date for kinder is September 30. He was born September 29. So he is eligible for kinder this coming fall. However, I don't feel he is ready. He is struggling in preschool with being in attentive and lacking focus as well as an over abundance of energy. We had a consult with his neurologist about ADHD but he wants ds to start kinder and have the same issues he's already having in a "real school environment" before he'll diagnose him and get ds help. Ds can not identify letters, their sounds, identify numbers, or write at all. His teachers, my parents and myself have all tried to work with him on this stuff but he can't stay focused to learn. It has become a big problem for us. I know that by sending him to kinder he'll get the help he needs but I don't want to see him go and fail because he wasn't ready. He already has problems because he is disappointed in himself when he can't do things. I have always told myself the I wouldn't send him until he was almost 6 because I want him to be mature enough to handle it. But I'm just not sure anymore. Kinder here is full day btw. What would you do??
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Bump
Melbornj
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:54 AM
I would hold him back for a year and see if things improve. It should give him an advantage hopefully for the following year.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
luckysevenwow
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:55 AM
In my experience its best if they are older, especially boys, girls tend to do a lot better with being the youngest. Boys just really tend to struggle. Follow your gut, just cause the rules say he can go doesn't mean he has to.
kappalopokis
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Send him. Keeping him home away from the help he needs will just put him even further behind/
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:55 AM
If he's already in a good preschool program, it sounds to me like he would benefit from another year of that. Sounds like the real problem is your doctor. Maybe you should find someone to give you a second opinion.
Mamasgirl524
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:56 AM
Is another year at preschool an option? If so, I wouldn't send him. If not, I wouldn't want him taking a whole year off.
Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:57 AM
I would hold him back. It sounds like you know he is not ready. Don't force it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Ds missed the cutoff for kindergarten by a few weeks but I'm glad, I would have kept him in pre-k another year anyway. Do what you think is right and what will be best for ds. Last year there is NO way i thought ds would be ready for kindergarten but he has grown so much in that year that I know I made the right choice and he will be ready come fall.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

If he's already in a good preschool program, it sounds to me like he would benefit from another year of that. Sounds like the real problem is your doctor. Maybe you should find someone to give you a second opinion.

I agree. I have seen some of the younger kids who just turned 5 struggle a lot more than the kids who turned 6.
kiddycat73
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:59 AM
I would not send him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)