Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Common cold in infants

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:26 AM
  • 10 Replies
My four month old has a cold. Sneezing, coughing, watery eyes.. No fever thankfully. We've been running hot water showers once a day and hanging out in the bathroom with her as it gets steamy, have also had humidifiers running. Also adding an extra ounce to her bottles and making sure she's getting plenty of rest. I'm afraid to give her any medicine as she's so young. What else can I do? I don't want to take her to the dr because then she'd be in contact with more germs...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:28 AM
What you're doing sounds great! I would leave it at that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bLuEeYeDgIrL312
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:31 AM
I use cold med on my dd. Shes almost a year now. I use dinatap (sorry bout spelling) . Howmuch does she weigh? The pharmacy told me to give her 4ml for age. But shes only 18 1/2 pounds. I usally give her about 3ml and it works! She also is sick now.. also baby vicks works wonders..
jibberjabby
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:34 AM

My LO's ped said absolutely NO cold medications. The only medication for an infant that small is tylenol if they are running a fever. Also, saline drops in the nose and then using the suction bulb helps make them a little more comfortable.

Hellobabies
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:38 AM

There are no meds that are recommended for that age. You are doing everything you are supposed to. I highly recommend a nose freida. The concept is disgusting, but it was a life saver when my lo's got colds. The bulbs don't get all the snot out, but the nose freida gets it all out perfectly. If you have a babies r us or something similar, you can find them there. Baby Vicks on the feet will also work wonders for comfort. Good luck.

April620
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:39 AM
She is only 16 lbs. The only medication I have is highlands natural teething tablets but I haven't given her any as they just make her drowsy and she's already drowsy from the cold.. I don't want to go out and get anything because its snowing and dh is working all day

Quoting bLuEeYeDgIrL312:

I use cold med on my dd. Shes almost a year now. I use dinatap (sorry bout spelling) . Howmuch does she weigh? The pharmacy told me to give her 4ml for age. But shes only 18 1/2 pounds. I usally give her about 3ml and it works! She also is sick now.. also baby vicks works wonders..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bLuEeYeDgIrL312
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Aww im sorry. I hope she feels better soon! If lasts more then a week id call the dr. Yes i wouldnt go out either. Giving my dd meds is the only way i get her to relax while sick, she will just sit and cry no matter what i do.. question how well do the teething tablets work? The oragel just doesnt seem to be working..

Quoting April620:

She is only 16 lbs. The only medication I have is highlands natural teething tablets but I haven't given her any as they just make her drowsy and she's already drowsy from the cold.. I don't want to go out and get anything because its snowing and dh is working all day

Quoting bLuEeYeDgIrL312:

April620
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:58 AM
They work pretty good, I have only used them a handful of times but it definitely has helped calm her down when she gets hysterical from the pain. My friends with older children swear by them though

Quoting bLuEeYeDgIrL312:

Aww im sorry. I hope she feels better soon! If lasts more then a week id call the dr. Yes i wouldnt go out either. Giving my dd meds is the only way i get her to relax while sick, she will just sit and cry no matter what i do.. question how well do the teething tablets work? The oragel just doesnt seem to be working..

Quoting April620:

Quoting bLuEeYeDgIrL312:

madmueller
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:05 AM

They do have things for babies that age, but I would call your pediatrician or call a 24-hr. place even ask your local pharmacy. The pharmacians can give you good advice on the weekend when the Dr.'s office is closed. Hope she feels better soon, it's so sad to see a little baby sick...

elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Yes, no meds for babies that young. What you're doing sounds great- the nose sucker will be your best friend!! =)

littlemrsd
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Prop her up while she sleeps 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)