Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

We're in prison. Update* another great update*

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:27 AM
  • 39 Replies
Update: She swallowed three bites of pudding. That showed us that she can swallow without aspirating. It's a great start.

UPDATE 2- she just ate quite a bit of her dinner. I really hope this means we get to go home tomorrow.

While there aren't any bars here, my daughter and I have been confined here for over a week. I'm quite close to putting tally marks on the wall.

Last week, I took my 9 year old dd (with Rett Syndrome) to our local emergency room. She was lethargic and refusing fluids.

That trip resulted in two hospital transfers, with one transfer by air, and over a week in the hospital.

Her royal cuteness had acquired Influenza B, which was followed by pneumonia. She was starting her own microbe collection. I have since informed her that hermit crabs would be a better choice in the future; our insurance company agrees.

I have not left the hospital. This has led me to go a bit stir crazy. I will admit to reading every pointless magazine for sale in the gift shop, and watching people struggle to find parking in the lot below. I also think my daughter is tired of listening to the stories I've been telling her. She can't talk but I can tell she finds me strange.

She has done so well and is finally off of supplemental oxygen. The only thing she has to do to go home is eat. I thought this would be easy because she was previously dubbed a foodie. After having an NG tube(through her nose into her tummy) placed, and dealing with suction in her mouth, she's now anti-eating. If anyone wants to send some , "open your mouth for the delicious pudding" vibes we'd appreciate it.

I miss my boys. They're in good hands, but I haven't seem them since dd was admitted. The hospital is a few hours from home.

TL;DR version
Cute kid was sick, and can only leave the hospital if she eats something. Mom going stir crazy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
s.osborne
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Oh no:( I was just there for 3 days with DS. He had a raging UTI. Hang in there momma:)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PerfectVirgo
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:32 AM
I'm sorry. :( download 4 pics 1 word. ;)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cadditalbrat
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:33 AM
wow mama that sucks :( I kno w how you feel. My littlest one ended up in the ICU the day after Christmas and we were there until after New Years. Stay strong. She'll eventually eat. Buy a couple books or coloring books, or play games on your computer? I will be sending "EAT THE PUDDING!!!" vibes :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LectioDivina
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this

((((hugs)))))

Have you ever thought about writing? I could see you writing something like Lemony Snicket and being amazing at it.

aimlee
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:34 AM

im sorry :( I hope she gets better soon!! 

Cymbeline
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:35 AM
I write often, but it has been kept private. I spend most of my time daydreaming and many of those alternate worlds have ended up on paper.

Quoting LectioDivina:

((((hugs)))))

Have you ever thought about writing? I could see you writing something like Lemony Snicket and being amazing at it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Redditor as well?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:35 AM
eat the yummy pudding!! eat the yummy pudding!! eeeeeaaaaaattttt ttttthhhhheeeee yyyyyuuuuummmmmmmmyyyyy ppppuuuuuddddddddddiiiiinnnnngggggg!!!!!!
Cymbeline
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Nope

Quoting Anonymous:

Redditor as well?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HappySquirrel
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:36 AM
So sorry. (Concentrating all the food scarfing my son does into a little data package to send it your way.. He can go light for a day, he will be fine and he's SUCH an EATER, that with that much energy, even with some lost in transit, surely it will be enough to get your little girl looking at food again!)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)