Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

WWYD? (dog related) Edit

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 44 Replies

Poll

Question: What would you do?

Options:

Call animal control who is unlikely to be there before the dog leaves

Call the cops

Nothing and hope it doesn't come back or run off and harm someone

kill it

incapacitate it potentially making the dog aggressive and/or harming it

other please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 37

View Results

If an unknown dog came into your yard??? 

Just to clarify, I am talking a large dog. A small dog could do much damage.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rebeccasmommy09
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this
If it was friendly, I'd probably catch it then call animal control (unless there was a collar of course). If aggressive, just call animal control.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:37 AM

And risk it becoming aggresive towards you?

Quoting rebeccasmommy09:

If it was friendly, I'd probably catch it then call animal control (unless there was a collar of course). If aggressive, just call animal control.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:39 AM

And for the ones who said call the cops. WTH is it you expect the cops to do other then call animal services?? Just curious.

VannaMae307
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I usually just don't go out there or say "Shoo dog" from a distance. LOL

twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:43 AM
I would keep the kids inside and throw food by the door. Then when the dog gets close to the food while peering out the window I'd look to see if it has a collar.
If it did, I'd throw food out a window and walk out a door further away but stay close and call the dog and see if it was friendly,
momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Keep an eye on it. If it seems aggressive, call animal control. If not, check for tags and try to find its owner. 

dmarie2101
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM

based on your options and other replies, you seem to be a supporter of the kid that killed the pit.

i wouldnt do anything. it wouldnt stay forever, and theres no point in calling ac bc they would never be here in time. i also wouldnt pen it in my yard to wait for them, bc i have 3 dogs and they have to go out at some point. while the stray may be people friendly, im not going to find out if its dog friendly by trial and error.

i would not, however, throw something, shoot something, or otherwise try to hurt the dog.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I would have my husband pop it in the butt with the bb gun. If he wasnt home I would ignore it unless it was messing with my kids or my dog 

Johariz
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd catch it, as long as it were friendly. Then I'd make all attempts to try and reunite it with it's owner. I've done this several times (at least 50) with dogs of all sizes. I have yet to come across a truly aggressive dog. I've come across some scared dogs, a couple that I had to lure into my fenced yard, but once they were in a secure yard and I won their trust with copious amounts of hotdogs, they were ok.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I am a supporter of being a responsible pet owner and a supporter of protecting yourself, family, and property as you see fit. I am NOT a supporter of allowing yourself to be a victim due to fear of others. Nor am I a supporter of ruining a families life and threatening them with death over a dog who had an irresponsible owner.

I cant say I would have killed it, that depends, but I would never judge someone who felt the need to do so.

Quoting dmarie2101:

based on your options and other replies, you seem to be a supporter of the kid that killed the pit.

i wouldnt do anything. it wouldnt stay forever, and theres no point in calling ac bc they would never be here in time. i also wouldnt pen it in my yard to wait for them, bc i have 3 dogs and they have to go out at some point. while the stray may be people friendly, im not going to find out if its dog friendly by trial and error.

i would not, however, throw something, shoot something, or otherwise try to hurt the dog.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)