Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why I will never again birth at a hospital. Piog.

Posted by   + Show Post
Working at a hospital I now know with certainty that I will never again step foot in one to give birth. The latest? I went to the nursery to do an ultrasound on one of the babies. When I was in there I heard two of the nurses talking. One of them said "o yea this baby right here is breastfed, but she was crying so I was about to give her a bottle. But then the dad came in and I hid it so quick. I almost got caught". Then they both just laughed.

Wtf is that?? Who do they think they are! Ugh. It just got me mad. Thanks for letting me vent!
This isn't the only reason....just the latest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Replies (111-117):
KaysMom06
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Deceiving wenches!

There are more stories? I want to hear em!

Shermy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Yeah, it was something I personally enjoyed. 

Quoting AlwaysKISA:

That's cool. Many people have said that during this post. I didn't know it was that common. There are 6 hospitals here and all of them have nurseries.

Quoting Anonymous:

Huh. My hospital doesn't have a nursery

twinmom86
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:02 PM
It really is! All of the nurses were great and let me know that if I needed any advice about breastfeeding they would call one of their lactation consultants for me. They also have a breastfeeding group that meets at the hospital every week where you can get advice and get your baby weighed. The sad thing is the other hospital is supposedly the "better" hospital.

Quoting AlwaysKISA:

First hospital sounds awesome!

Quoting twinmom86:

I think it depends on the hospital. When I had my dd last month they were very supportive of my breastfeeding. They did take her once to do the hearing test but brought her back right away. They won't give formula or pacifiers unless they have your permission. The hospital where I had my dd wasn't as great. They gave her a pacifier without asking and there was even a sign on her bassinet that said not to

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AmericanChild82
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:05 PM

One reason my babies have always roomed with me. The only time they went to the nursery was so I could shower but I always did that when my aunts mom (not related) was on shift. She knew I was strictly nursing.

brebugmom91
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:07 PM
That isn't all hospitals. Mine lost DDs place in line to do the hearing test because DD was getting fussy. The nurse brought her to me, and waited 30 mins or so, and took her back to wait again.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
levsenmommy
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I made sure my youngest stayed with me the whole time.  The only time he went to the nursery was for an ultrasound and I made my husband go with him and make sure he came right back to the room.  

I struggled with bfing with my first and refused to take the chance of my youngest having a bottle/formula at all.  I found out after my first (when I got his medical records from the birth) that someone had marked him as bottle fed and he had been given at least one bottle while we were there.  I'm sorry, but that pissed me off.

With my youngest, I actually had the night nursery nurse come to my room to see him since the other nurses told her he wouldn't be coming ot the nursery.  They took it personally, but since the trust was broken from when my oldest was there, I wasn't about to chance my youngest.

mamalove1023
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Sorry, but I've worked in several hospitals and have never seen this.  In all the nurseries we would NEVER give a baby formula w/o the parents knowing it and giving permission.  Please stop making it out that all nurses are evil and live to give your baby formula.  Educate yourself and deliver in a Baby Friendly hospital if it is that important to you.  Not knowing the whole situation it is difficult to comment on what was going on in your particular nursery.  I will say that majority of nurses I have met have always had their pts best intrest at heart.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)