Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Single Moms with older kids, I have a question!

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:10 AM
  • 12 Replies
Does it get easier?

I haven't been divorced that long, and my kids are 7, 5, and 1. It's hard, but I'm not complaining! We get by just fine and we're happy :) But I am one tired, and sometimes stressed out momma! The ex has nothing to do with them now (I know, what a scum bag!) so I do it 100% alone.

I just want to know, did it get easier as the kids got older? As you had more years of experience being a single mom?

Thanks for any wisdom!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ksueditz
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:12 AM
It does get easier. You'll get into your routines and it will be your new normal. Good luck to you and your family!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cLanief
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:14 AM
You need a break.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes...it will get easier. Actually I prefer being a single mom even if I have to do everything and make all the decisions myself

MichLW69
by PackersXLV4 on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:22 AM
It does get easier, I promise. I've pretty much been doing it alone for 8 years (my kids are 16 & 10 now). I can remember nights just laying in bed crying bc it was so overwhelming to me. I never got a break, except the 9 hrs/day I was working.

I left an abusive marriage and put myself and my kids in therapy. There have been a few hiccups in the road, but we're all healthy and happy. I'd be a liar if I didn't say that I don't daydream about having the house to myself at some point. But I also am focused on making sure my kids don't make the same bad decisions I made, that I learned from my mom. If I accomplish anything in life, it will be to NOT be like my mom. Then I will consider my life successful.
slm047
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:24 AM
I'm fairly new at the divorced thing too but I'm hoping it gets easier.
thatsamorex2
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes,its get easier.My son is 6 and my daughter is 13 and my life is much easier now than it was lets say 3 years ago.I think its actually easier being a single mom.No one to disagree with over how the kids should be raised/handled,no having arguments about money(who's spending more/less and on what) or none of the I'm doing more than you feelings (as in I'm cleaning and taking care of the kids all day and you work and come home and play with the kids for 5 minutes and that's it).So much less stress in that area.I do have a great support system in my family especially my mom so that helps a great deal.You also get all the credit and rewards of seeing your children learn,grow and succeed and you know its only because of you this is happening.

LeeLee375
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I would say that I generally prefer it also. But sometimes, like when I just need someone to hold the baby while I take a shower, I remember how handy it was to have a second person.

But I know that the negative of being married far outweighed the positive. So I try not to dwell on it.

Quoting Sassy762:

Yes...it will get easier. Actually I prefer being a single mom even if I have to do everything and make all the decisions myself

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I would put the baby in a carrier and set it on the bathroom floor if no one else was around BUT having a bunch of older kids helps a lot also.

Quoting LeeLee375:

I would say that I generally prefer it also. But sometimes, like when I just need someone to hold the baby while I take a shower, I remember how handy it was to have a second person.

But I know that the negative of being married far outweighed the positive. So I try not to dwell on it.

Quoting Sassy762:

LeeLee375
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Luckily, I have great support from my family too! Whew! What would I do without them? :)

I'm so glad to hear it does get easier. I think I've adjusted to being a single mom just fine, and my older two have adjusted to their dad being gone. The baby never knew him. I guess just age-wise, I'm hoping being the only parent of older kids will be a little easier.

Quoting thatsamorex2:

Yes,its get easier.My son is 6 and my daughter is 13 and my life is much easier now than it was lets say 3 years ago.I think its actually easier being a single mom.No one to disagree with over how the kids should be raised/handled,no having arguments about money(who's spending more/less and on what) or none of the I'm doing more than you feelings (as in I'm cleaning and taking care of the kids all day and you work and come home and play with the kids for 5 minutes and that's it).So much less stress in that area.I do have a great support system in my family especially my mom so that helps a great deal.You also get all the credit and rewards of seeing your children learn,grow and succeed and you know its only because of you this is happening.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justahousewife
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:34 PM
I've been a single mom since my oldest was 4, she's 11 now. It is easier when they get to an age they don't need constant supervision.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)