Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

could your current income support you in most us cities?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 71 Replies
My Dh and I went to Chicago for the weekend. We discovered that is a really expensive place compared to where we live. We saw a sign stating that a 3 bedroom one level apartment goes for $574,000. That's unreal! A 24oz soda from walgreens was $2. Where I live the are $1.25. Gas up there was $4.09 a gallon where I live it is $3.48 a gallon. I live in a small suburban town in Missouri about 6 1/2 hours outside of Chicago. If we moved to Chicago I don't think we could afford to live off what we live off of now. Dh makes $1500 a month. $710 for a 3 bed 2 bath 1100 sq ft home, $80 for electric, $90 for 2 android cell phones, $25 for sewer, $25 for water, $15 for trash, $400 in food. Dh's job pays for his gas, I only use about a tankful a month, car insurance and health insurance are paid yearly with our income taxes, we bulk shop at Costco yearly for our household needs. All our needs are met and still have some left over each month. With your current income do you think you could make it in most US cities?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Yes, easily.  We already live in NYC and are fairly comfortable.  Not rich, but we can pay all of our bills and have enough left over to buy some extras and have our kids in activities.  Most places we visit are a lot less expensive.

Mamasgirl524
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:13 PM
No! Lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RayneofTerror
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Absolutely. Hawaii has a super high cost of living. The money we make keeps us more than comfortable here, we would live extremely well in most other places. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Maybe. I know I could survive in 99% of the country off my salary alone. I know we couldn't live in NY or Chicago or parts of CA.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:16 PM
I cannot survive where I am and we live in farm america. No way would I live in a city.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Well, the income we have right now barely supports us where we live, but were we to move somewhere else and take the money too, we'd probably be ok.  The problem is other places don't pay as well, so we stay until we both graduate and then we'll be fine.  

HollyBoBolly
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Definitely not.  I moved to Florida from Hawaii and my income here as a student, 2500/month was my rent in Hawaii. 

lesliemck86
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Not in major cities it couldn't. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:18 PM
No and yet we have to move back to the NYC area. We are so fucked.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Easily. I live on Silicon Valley
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)