Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

College cost for becoming a teacher?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 50 Replies

I was wondering how much did it cost for your education to become a teacher?

If you can remember the cost of different levels of degrees would be helpful to know too.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
truealaskanmom
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:14 PM

my BS in elementary education was about 40K total 

KatrinaMae
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:16 PM
To get my bachelors at a private college it is about 90 thousand. That is without financial aid. I would recommend going to a community college for your gen eds because it's cheaper and you will get the same education. I'm in Missouri if that makes a difference.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pnukey
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I had to get my BA in Liberal Studies and then 30 more units, after graduation, for my elementary teaching credential. There were also tests and finger printing fees. I paid way too much because I went to a private college.  I have since taken more classes for my MS and more tests for my intermediate math teaching credential.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I attend private universities for my undergraduate and master's degrees. 

It was over $100,000.

Undergrad was around 85. That's just tuition costs, not housing or books or anything. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I think all together, community college, books, BA work and M.Ed work was easily $60,000. I didn't go to a State school though.

And now? In my state you have to intern for two years before you can even earn a professional credential. I received my credential before all of that.

I would advise people to not get a degree in liberal arts or interdisciplinary studies, like I did. If you get a BA degree get one directly related to education or teaching.  And if you get a Masters get on in psychology. Or the reverse. You can easily, IMO, pass any sort of multiple subject exam to prove knowledge of core subjects. But you'll want a degree that can come in handy in several fields, in case teaching doesn't work out for you.

I am currently teaching, but not in the field of elementary education, which is what my intentions were. There are no jobs in my area. I am in CA.

edit: I graduated in 2004.

TheMrs407
by Emerald Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:21 PM
It depends where you go. Ten years ago it was about 60k for classes at a private university.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Actually, I would advise someone who was interested in teaching to first consider nursing.

truealaskanmom
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Actually, I would advise someone who was interested in teaching to first consider nursing.

I actually agree, the education climate is hostile right now, and nurses make way more money and have better hours 

TheMrs407
by Emerald Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:29 PM
I wouldn't want to be a nurse. My work environment is great, though that is largely dependent on the community and and the administration. However, the demand for nurses is far greater than teachers.

Quoting truealaskanmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

I actually agree, the education climate is hostile right now, and nurses make way more money and have better hours 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Why nursing?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN