Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My mom refuses to call my son by his name

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My son is 5 months old. His name is Henry.

Since the day he was born, my mom has refused to call him by his name and instead calls him Finn. Where did she come up with that? I have no idea...it's not even his middle name. It's just some random name she picked because she doesn't like the name Henry.

I have begged her and begged her not to call him Finn. Who is Finn?! But she just won't. She refuses.

What do I do?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Replies (51-56):
Bauxite-17
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Tell she can't see him until she calls him by his legal name, and then start calling her some random name.....

Mrs.Winchester
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I don't think it's that big of a deal-  at least not big enough to let her stop seeing him.  I mean, seriously?  Over a name?  How petty.

Start calling her a nick-name that she doesn't like and I bet she'll stop pretty quickly.

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:11 PM
Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

When she asks for Finn, tell her nobody named Finn lives there.  If she gets him a gift with Finn on the tag, give it back saying nobody named Finn lives there.

Call her out on it.  Ask her waht she's going to tell him when he's older and knows she is doing this.

If it were me, I wouldn't let her see him until she called him by his name.

I know, I did this with my inlaws.  They called DS1 "Jay" because they didn't like his name and I sent gifts back, wouldn't show them pictures, and didn't let them see him because "Jay" didn't live at my house.

Ironically, now they freaking LOVE his name and can't get enough of it.

Oh, forget mine! This is better, lol.
Remember you have the leverage, you have the grandson. I know, sounds Machiavellian, but she's stepping on a territory that's not hers.
My mom hated my choice of school (because it's religious), so can she manipulate me to change it? No way. It's MY child and MY choice and she either makes peace with that choice or I'm sorry, but she can't have a relationship with her grand kids. Lucky for be, my mom is aware of this and all she could do is frown when she found out and leave it at that. If yours doesn't then she needs the incentive to learn to suck it up
panther79
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Did you call her Jake?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:26 PM

LOL, ty.

I'm surprised by how many people are acting like this isn't a big deal.  But how long is this going to go on for before people realize it IS a big deal?  There are so many factors involved!

1.  The kid WILL get older, and being told by a RELATIVE that their name is somehow wrong or terribly disliked is going to HURT.
2.  Grandma is stepping on all sorts of boundaries, and if you don't stand your ground when baby is a baby, it gets worse when they get older.  Now it's his name.  Then it's not liking how she's feeding him, what daycare he goes to, his school, his friends, his clothes.  SHE is NOT MOM.  She can talk to the kid's Mom if she thinks a mistake or bad choice is being made, but she can't arbitrarily enforce her own point of view onto the child.

It is best to lay downa hard line now, than have the child caught in the middle and hurt later.  It's not like she won't see the baby for years, unless she is just that evil! 

Quoting momto2boys973:

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

When she asks for Finn, tell her nobody named Finn lives there.  If she gets him a gift with Finn on the tag, give it back saying nobody named Finn lives there.

Call her out on it.  Ask her waht she's going to tell him when he's older and knows she is doing this.

If it were me, I wouldn't let her see him until she called him by his name.

I know, I did this with my inlaws.  They called DS1 "Jay" because they didn't like his name and I sent gifts back, wouldn't show them pictures, and didn't let them see him because "Jay" didn't live at my house.

Ironically, now they freaking LOVE his name and can't get enough of it.

Oh, forget mine! This is better, lol.
Remember you have the leverage, you have the grandson. I know, sounds Machiavellian, but she's stepping on a territory that's not hers.
My mom hated my choice of school (because it's religious), so can she manipulate me to change it? No way. It's MY child and MY choice and she either makes peace with that choice or I'm sorry, but she can't have a relationship with her grand kids. Lucky for be, my mom is aware of this and all she could do is frown when she found out and leave it at that. If yours doesn't then she needs the incentive to learn to suck it up

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:26 PM
Yup

Quoting mommy_2_be_2010:

This your kid your rules

Quoting two4one:

Tell her she can no longer see him until she starts calling him by his given name.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)