Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Children need socialization and intellectualization through daycare----stay-at-home mom is just not enough...

Posted by   + Show Post

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Replies (531-540):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:21 PM

she probably meant that too.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ever heard of playdates genius?

katcb1019
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Bull... My kids are great and have never been to daycare
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:24 PM

It kind of depends. Not every mom has three kids. If you have an "only" child and are a sahm it is HEALTHY to attend mom groups or get the child to socialize at a pre-school program for at least 2 hours a week. I'm a sahm who moved to a new state. I have no family here or friends yet. We go to the park and library but it's not enough.

Quoting candlemomma83:

my three get plenty of socialization and intellectualization without ever having to step foot in a daycare! i say if you need to place your child in a daycare thats your business but id rather raise my babies, not have someone else do it. so stay at home moms are not social? they dont run errands, visit family and friends , go to the park and library , church etc? what nonesense! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this

WRONG ! All kids need socialization some way and it can't just be from mom. Just because a mom puts her kid in a program for let's say only 2 hours a week does not make her a bad mom. It makes a GOOD mom because kids need to be around other kids unless you gave birth to a litter !

Quoting Anonymous:

I think your an idiot!! Whatever makes you feel better about your lack of being able to parent, so you pay someone to do it for you!!

Dabberdoo
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:21 PM

*sigh*

sha_lyn68
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Of course that isn't what the OP meant. She came up with a big word that sounded good but she didn't bother to make certain it meant what she thought it meant. Why would you reuse the word if you know what it meant? I guess that's a pet peeve of mine. My mom used to do that with a friend of hers and it drove me nuts to hear her misusing words on purpose.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think that's what the op meant...but so happy to see you know your Freud!

Quoting sha_lyn68:

That is the meaning of intellectualization. The OP found a big word that doesn't mean what she thought it means.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think the term 'intellectualization' is used within this context to mean the extreme of avoiding emotional response in favour of 'over' rationalization. Not sure where you got that from.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting Anonymous:

Children do need socialization and intellectualization..but that doesn't have to happen at daycare necessarily. Not sure why you feel that's the only environment where kids can socialize. Playdates? Drop-in early years centers? Playgroups? All of those things work just as well. SMH

Why do children need to build a defense mechinism of over rationalization to avoid having an emotional response?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:02 AM
1 mom liked this

It's funny you should say that because people were actually more intelligent and more literate before the government took over the education in the US. Look it up... Oh, your being facetious... Lmao good one!

marilyn623
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:05 AM
1 mom liked this
I prefer my kids not Factory farmed :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:10 AM

This statement is so vague and ridiculous. What does it mean that SAHM is not enough? So working full time is? What? Wait? What? Why through daycare? Who the hell thought this idea was a good idea? Daycare is an organization that watches your kids so you could work. That is their purpose and they would shut down if a parent became stay at home in every family. Not all but most because that is their main revenue stream. OH!!! You mean socialization in like what our government is trying to turn our country into. Yeah, I know.... I stay clear of daycares too. I'll socialize my kids properly, not by retards who run a daycare.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Honestly I reused her statement because I know that nitpicking over terms on CM is just an exercise in futility and I was responding to another part of her statement. I have the same pet peeve when people use the word 'attachment' to refer to parenting techniques without having a clue about attachment theory and where it comes from...but I've learned to just let it go.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Of course that isn't what the OP meant. She came up with a big word that sounded good but she didn't bother to make certain it meant what she thought it meant. Why would you reuse the word if you know what it meant? I guess that's a pet peeve of mine. My mom used to do that with a friend of hers and it drove me nuts to hear her misusing words on purpose.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think that's what the op meant...but so happy to see you know your Freud!

Quoting sha_lyn68:

That is the meaning of intellectualization. The OP found a big word that doesn't mean what she thought it means.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think the term 'intellectualization' is used within this context to mean the extreme of avoiding emotional response in favour of 'over' rationalization. Not sure where you got that from.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting Anonymous:

Children do need socialization and intellectualization..but that doesn't have to happen at daycare necessarily. Not sure why you feel that's the only environment where kids can socialize. Playdates? Drop-in early years centers? Playgroups? All of those things work just as well. SMH

Why do children need to build a defense mechinism of over rationalization to avoid having an emotional response?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)