Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Children need socialization and intellectualization through daycare----stay-at-home mom is just not enough...

Posted by   + Show Post

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Replies (601-610):
Adensmommy760
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 2:13 AM
My 3yro is the most sociable and smart kid her age (that I know). She speaks fluent English, Spanish, her alphabet, numbers upto 30. She tries to read time all on her own. Knows different between left and right, knows difference between facial expressions, she loves to have books read to her and has an amazing memory.

She remembers things that happened a year ago clearly. She didn't get that from daycare, she got it from mommy and daddy. By the way she knows our complete names in case she ever gets lost. Did I mention she turned 3 a month ago.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sarah427
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 2:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Ages 1 through 9 are when a child's personality blossoms. Those are the years that they develop self awareness, confidence (or the lack there of), and develop basic moral values...I'm not talking about "please" and "thank you", I'm talking about learning that what we do affects others, their feelings and understanding about lying, cheating, stealing, hurting others feelings, hurting others physically ( hitting, biting, etc)...and the list goes on. If you think these things happen after 10, I feel sorry for your kids! The most important years are the first ten!!!

Quoting Minnetonka:

Potty training, learning to count, learning to say please and thank yous and lining up to take naps and story time...

I think anyone can do that job. Anyone. Anyone.

But starting at age 10+? Completely different answer.

Then you have MAJOR life training that I will NEVER trust anyone else to do. That is major parenting 100% .

Make a promise to be there every second---That is when Parenting gets difficult.

Ages 1 through 9 are a piece of cake.

Quoting shudderette:

what is daycare except paying someone to do a job that you can do better? yeah, no thanks, my kids are good.

colins_mom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 2:16 AM
yeah pretty much this. my child goes to.daycare.because I have to.work. but if I could afford to be a stay.at home mom I would do it in a heartbeat.

Quoting Anonymous:

I can raise my own kids and pity anyone who thinks they can't.
Adensmommy760
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 2:17 AM
She socializes with children and adults equally, she has manners and would never hit, bite, or pinch another child. She understands adults mean authority and children mean playmates. No daycare required here.
shudderette
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Not the same. No one can be the mom I can to my children. No One. Not a single living being on this planet. I am the only "mom" my children will ever get. There might be people who can try and can even do an ok job at it but nope, even under age 10. Parenting starts before birth and never stops, not even when it gets difficult.

I'm not there for my kid every second of every day. I have things I enjoy without them. But getting to teach your kid to count and say please and thank you and reading to them before nap time, those are more important than those things i do for me. 

if you send your kid to daycare, have you ever asked them if they'd rather not go? if they had a choice to stay at home with you or go to daycare what would they choose? I cant think of a single child who would choose daycare over time with their mama. 

Quoting Minnetonka:

Potty training, learning to count, learning to say please and thank yous and lining up to take naps and story time...

Then you have MAJOR life training that I will NEVER trust anyone else to do. That is major parenting 100% .
Make a promise to be there every second---That is when Parenting gets difficult.

Quoting shudderette:

what is daycare except paying someone to do a job that you can do better? yeah, no thanks, my kids are good.

Minnetonka
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 2:19 AM
Tanya~~Yes! A few hours a day EVERY day and AWAY from mommy is good--so your swim and gymnastics is fine because your kids are with a different structured "coach" and not just "free playing". I posted my original post too quickly and meant to edit it my rough version (off putting) of what I wanted to say---i thought I deleted it and came back later and saw all the posts..... I truly thought people were smart enough to see the main point, but 90% can't. And the manners are insane~~ and those are the ones who keep their kids at home to teach them better than someone else.

Quoting tanya_marieh:

Can that few hours a day not be obtained by swim lessons or say gymnastics, or even going to the park and letting them play with all different types of kids.  My 4 year old has two days a week 1.5 hours each of gymnastics then 30 min two other days a week at swim.  I think your delivery on this is a little off putting to stir up the drama personally.

Quoting Minnetonka:

Yes, really. And yes, my children went to the park, had play dates, attended swim and riding lessons, etc etc and they had a blast too... I am pointing out that a few hours a day AWAY from mommy--without mommy's approval eye and constant direction, is beneficial to any child's independence and confidence for the rest of their life. All the moms on this site think a few hours away from them at a structured school is the worst thing for their child.

Disagree, ok, Just promise me , that you will be there every day after school starting at 11+ when they need you the most.

Quoting SoInLove515:

Really? Me and my kid were at the park with a bunch of other kids and adults for 3 hours today. He had a blast.

shudderette
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 2:20 AM
1 mom liked this

yeah, what she said!

Quoting sarah427:

Ages 1 through 9 are when a child's personality blossoms. Those are the years that they develop self awareness, confidence (or the lack there of), and develop basic moral values...I'm not talking about "please" and "thank you", I'm talking about learning that what we do affects others, their feelings and understanding about lying, cheating, stealing, hurting others feelings, hurting others physically ( hitting, biting, etc)...and the list goes on. If you think these things happen after 10, I feel sorry for your kids! The most important years are the first ten!!!

Quoting Minnetonka:

Quoting shudderette:

GrimmLotus
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 2:23 AM

I agree, but daycare is just too darn expensive.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2013 at 2:23 AM

I worked in a day care. I didn't do shit. All I cared about is the kids not hurting themselves. As for socialization, there is a park, and play dates etc. We do something every day, it's tiring. It's not like we hold up and stay in our pjs watching TV all day. That would be awesome.

Minnetonka
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 2:39 AM
Of course I taught them colors, alphabet, to read at age 4, and wash hands after potty--important of course, but I "allowed" others to help through daycare. 4 hours a day from 1 year to 4 years was private daycare---with 5 family 2-week trips a year and most Fridays stay at home--horse riding lessons and ballet with me. I didn't ask them at ages 2 or 3 or 4 if they wanted to be with me (for 4 hours?!) because all toddlers would say yes. Toddlers should not have as many choices as mothers give them today... As parents, we should not let a 3-yr- old pitch a fit because they don't get their way from 8am to noon.
Part of parenting is teaching them they will not always get their way in life
Ages 1 through 9 are easy... Make a promise to yourself to be home after school ages 10 through 17---THOSE are the hardest parenting years ---and when children need the most guidance.

Quoting shudderette:

Not the same. No one can be the mom I can to my children. No One. Not a single living being on this planet. I am the only "mom" my children will ever get. There might be people who can try and can even do an ok job at it but nope, even under age 10. Parenting starts before birth and never stops, not even when it gets difficult.

I'm not there for my kid every second of every day. I have things I enjoy without them. But getting to teach your kid to count and say please and thank you and reading to them before nap time, those are more important than those things i do for me. 

if you send your kid to daycare, have you ever asked them if they'd rather not go? if they had a choice to stay at home with you or go to daycare what would they choose? I cant think of a single child who would choose daycare over time with their mama. 

Quoting Minnetonka:

Quoting shudderette:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured