Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I would like to know honestly:

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:18 PM
  • 482 Replies
5 moms liked this

I have done LOADS of research on the Intact v. Infant Circumcision argument, and have never found ONE study that was accurate that would recommend this surgery for a newborn.

I'd like to know as a mom who kept her son intact, and has watched her kids turn in essays and lead conversations on Intact v. Circumcised, leading many many young teens to question why their parents would make the choice to remove such a sensitive part of their genetalia.....

What will you say if your son comes to you one day and asks you why, and tells you he is having problems or unhappy with the decision your and dad made for him?

What if he were to cut you out of his life for making this life altering decision? (I know many men who have done so).

What about when he is in the minority in the locker room (which is average at about 2023) and is made funny of because part of his penis is missing.

I don't want this to be a shouting match. If MY son were to ask why I left him intact and say he was being made fun of I would listen to his argument and support his decision as an informed adult to have his foreskin removed.....but what to do when you take away something that cannot be given back?

edit: After several days of this post gaining attention from all different kinds of people I have learned 2 things:

1. It is very very difficult to get people to educate themselves when the education doesnt agree with the crap they have been fed as "the truth" for their whole lives. Even medical professionals refuse to read proven reports if they don't agree with that individuals personal opinion.

2. WAY too many moms are only doing this to make their kids genitals "look" the way they think they should look.

I respect the moms who answered the question, the moms who admitted they made this choice because they thought they were doing what was best and using the information they were given, and I appreciate the moms who have admitted that this should be their sons decision to make when he is older.

For the moms who are uneducated and unwilling to get educated about the functions of the foreskin, correct intact care, and genital integrity, they still perform female genital cutting in Somalia.....so when you decide how you want your daughters vaginas to look, they can accomodate you there.

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:20 PM
9 moms liked this

i know about 10-15 males who were left intact and as a teen got snipped.

if my DS asked me why he was circ, i would tell him it was to keep him clean, and not dirty, i would be HONEST

DebnDrew
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this

And if he had the research that showed him that was untrue and that removing his foreskin subjected him to fecal bacteria in a wound and introduction to bacteria in his urethra?

I'm not trying to be inflammatory, I am asking, if HE has done research that tells him differently.....what then?

Pnukey
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:26 PM
22 moms liked this

If they were taking off their underpants and comparing penises in gym would be a bigger concern for me. 

HappySquirrel
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:27 PM
2 moms liked this
I have been against circumcision since I first heard of it. Most other countries do not circumcise and our elderly are getting infections on their penises not because they weren't cicumcised, but because either the training isn't there or it is hit and miss for proper hygiene. I did not circumcise our son and have taught him how to keep himself clean. My husband and I have discussed it and if oursonwants to be circumcised for his own reasons later on, we will pay for it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Pnukey:

If they were taking off their underpants and comparing penises in gym would be a bigger concern for me. 

DebnDrew
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:29 PM

but that is the argument for doing it sometimes

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Pnukey:

EAzizM
by Erica on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Boys in locker rooms don't check each others penises out. Js. I will be snipping my future sons.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Armywifeholcomb
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:29 PM
I would refer that talk to his father.
That was a decision that DH insisted on. I honestly wasn't sure one way or another.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:30 PM
8 moms liked this
Well honestly ill tell him his dad made the choice and theres no point in getting mad about it now when nothing can be done..
and honestly I would be disappointed if my son stops talking to me over it bc then I did something wrong raising him
Pnukey
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:30 PM

I hadn't heard that one. I didn't think boys did that in gym. Maybe I don't want to know.

Quoting DebnDrew:

but that is the argument for doing it sometimes

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Pnukey:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)