Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I wish I wasn't stupid

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies
Tonight I told my two boys that if they didn't get their room clean than I wouldn't give them a second bath tonight (a bath to play instead of cleaning them). I went to the living room to clean up while they cleaned their bedroom. My oldest came running from the room and told me his brother wasn't cleaning because he says that what I said was don't clean and they can play in the tub. I went into the room to see him sitting on floor. I am so stupid. I keep forgetting. I sat down with him and signed to him what I wanted him to do. He stood up and helped his brother clean. Everyone keeps telling me how he is fine. I know he can hear and read lips, but people want me to forget that his brain can't. I know he turns now when I talk. I know our excersises are working but they aren't enough for the subtle ways of English American speech. I know that my friends who know who I am will think me nuts, but I am sick of pretending that he understands me just verbally. Without social cues and lip reading I know he can sometimes understand sound but no one can tell me that he understands me or anyone all of the time. He did exactly what I asked after I used the sign language everyone tells me he doesn't need. I am so stupid and pissed off at myself.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kameronsmommy08
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm confused. You think you should sign to him, but he can hear you?

ilovemyboys84
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Don't be so hard on yourself. As for what other people say..ignore them..you know your child better than anyone else. Do what you know and feel what he needs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Logan_Bellasmom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this

huh.....

weezer_cookie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:14 AM
I think you're doing great. It is a learning curve for all involved. You're getting him the resources he needs. Far from stupid, mama!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:14 AM
Yes. The audiologist said it looks like Central Auditory Processing Disorder when they did his ABR at 15 months.

Quoting kameronsmommy08:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:22 AM
But I am not. He is in mainstream class and has no help. He hates school and begs every night, even weekends, to not go. I am teaching him the sign language and he keeps saying his teachers can't understand him. I am going to now, though. I am getting a meeting set up with them as soon as possible.

Quoting weezer_cookie:

I think you're doing great. It is a learning curve for all involved. You're getting him the resources he needs. Far from stupid, mama!
Uhura
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:22 AM

If he really does have CAPD, like my older sister does, you need to get his attention first. Such as a tap on the shoulder or moving so he can see and register that you're trying to get his attention. Then he can put full concentration on you and nothing else, she has the same problem and you have to make sure you've got her full attention before giving instructions.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes. The audiologist said it looks like Central Auditory Processing Disorder when they did his ABR at 15 months.

Quoting kameronsmommy08:

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers 

CafeMom Tickers

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:22 AM
What is confusing?

Quoting Logan_Bellasmom:

huh.....

lancet98
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Wait.   I'm confused.   You did something smart and called yourself stupid.

weezer_cookie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Why doesn't he have an IEP?

Quoting Anonymous:

But I am not. He is in mainstream class and has no help. He hates school and begs every night, even weekends, to not go. I am teaching him the sign language and he keeps saying his teachers can't understand him. I am going to now, though. I am getting a meeting set up with them as soon as possible.

Quoting weezer_cookie:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN