Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

at the risk of this getting poofed

Posted by   + Show Post
Who exactly do you all think is going to call you racist if you have a white mom group on here?

I would assume it would be like the other cafemom groups which anyone could join. At least i know anyone can join the AA Moms group. So it wouldn't be excluding anyone, so it isn't racist.

And honestly I am guessing most of the minority moms on here wont care. If CM wont let you have the group then that is an admin issue and not the doing of any of the moms on here.

So do you think the admins are calling you racist?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Replies (481-484):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:34 AM
Is this shit still going?
Gawd I wish it would've poofed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:39 AM
Me and DF were talking about this last night. Not CM but a website we saw on tv. He saw it and said if anyone had made a specific dating website for only white people and shown on tv, it would be viewed as racist and removed from tv. It isn't fair that minorities can have their own groups here but when a group for white moms is being introduced, it's flagged and removed. Unless the content is racist by content then yes, by all mans, remove the group. If its not then leave it be.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:53 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

I think it all comes down to the racist stigma from having had "all white" everything during an era where alienation of "non-superior races" was the norm. How it was purposely meant to exclude every other race. Now it's support groups not groups meant to attack another race by exclusion.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 24, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Actually, I did not say "Latin" since that encompasses way more. I meant Hispanic in the Chicago Hispanic way meaning mostly Puerto Rican, with some Mexican mixed in and then a much tinier percentage of the rest of Latin America and maybe fewer froSpain/Portugal. Yes it was ghetto, because I used words like "straight" instead of good and "dope" in stead of cool, etc. you can also tell by the demographics, income level, and other factors as well. their are exceptions, as i stated later in my comment, but this was the stereotype and i fit right in. just like eminem is the stereotype of the white kid in a predomently african american poor neighborhood. I thought nothing of it because you were weird if you didn't speak that way. You spoke like the rap and hip hop artists spoke. It's not oppression I was referring to either. These were ethnic groups that come to America from under privileged places and bring forth many of their ignorant cultures. It's not a bad thing, it just is. My Eastern European family did the same thing, thus the reason they didn't seek a better place to raise their children, although I am thankful for the way my life went because it made me who I am. These are just facts. People that have a problem or judge have issues with themselves and need to look in the mirror. It also doesn't mean oppressed. All people are oppressed in some way, even the filthy rich. That's not the correct word. The is always a way out, if you want it. I think making groups is fine if you are trying to find commonalities, but race is not much of one since it encompasses people from around the globe with too many exceptions. My favorite is Jacques Fresco dialing in "black" man from England in front of the klu klux klan to show them that not all "black" people are the same, and that it depends more on your demographics. He was able to break up this particular klan group.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm gonna try to ignore the fact that you used the words Latino/hip-hop and ghetto synonomously and attend to the broader issue. I understand way you are saying. Class is a big part of oppression and the problems people have between one-another. But that doesn't completely discount the implications of race. There are outliers in every group. But just because you're the only white girl in a black neighborhood doesn't mean your experience matches those around you just because you are of the same socio-economic status of your peers. The truth is people are treated differently based on race regardless of class- and this goes for wealthy minorities as well. And it is the reason why minorities who ARE oppressed and under-represented jn the broader main-stream society should be able to have groups that represent them. (note here: I am not neccesarily referring to the census definition of the word race in which there are 3 or so options. Therefore this includes Latinos, many of whom would consider themselves of a race even if it doesn't appear on a form.)
Quoting liliem:

This is bullshit. It's not a race thing, it's a class thing. Its city vs. ghetto, vs. preppy vs. suburbs vs. rich people vs. hippies vs., so many things, the list could be endless. I know white people that get along and seem more like black people and I know black people which can totally be mistaken for white. It's not race... It depends on where you grew up and the culture around you. I grew up in mostly Hispanic area with a huge hip hop African American influence and I used to speak and dress really ghetto like from where I was. Then I started working my ass off and had to act and talk a certain way, ended being forced to move to the suburbs, started clubbing with rich people and I changed and went to the opposite side of the spectrum. Then I found myself somewhere along the way and am as hippy as ever into the slow food movement, totally want to homeschool and i teach yoga. I know people of all races that have went through what I went  through. You find your desires and become what you want to be. Some people are stuck in their place and are scared to change. Let people have their pages, but let anyone join. Stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason, but there are always exceptions, and you should let those exceptions be apart of you group. Who the hell would want to be part of a race group anyway? Seriously, if they want to let them. I thought AA meant Alcoholics Anonymous btw... Lmao

Quoting Anonymous:

I think this is a little much and is boarderline racist... I do get your point regarding minority... they do get lost in the shuffle and there for stand out sometimes. I think this all dates back and this will never be resolved because it's just how the USA was built. blacks were slaves, hispanics were bastards and the white ruled...... Im not being racist it's just how it "WAS" but not any more!

Quoting Anonymous:

You already have the majority. That's why you don't get a group. It's dumb. Why don't we start a women's group too while we're at it? Minority groups begin because minorities get lost in the white shuffle. They need a place to be represented. You already own the majority of the boards on here/ the majority culture. A white group would be excessive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured