Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I out of line?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Ok, so my eldest child is 7 and in first grade (I have 4 children total, the youngest is 4 weeks old) We have a swingset with a fort in our back yard.  We live on a military post so it is rather safe.  My daughter and our next door neighbor are playing in my back yard when another child that my daughter knows from class walks up.  She wants to play as well but I have the rule that I must meet parents, they must know wherei live and have a phone number, just in case, before I let a child play on our playset.  The parent refuses to come over so I refuse to let the child play on the play set.  Am I wrong?  Is this how parents parent now a days?  (I ask because the girls parents yelled at me for wanting to meet her).

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:07 AM
Replies (11-20):
Amybelle
by AmyAzing on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Unfortunately.... I think you are being very wise 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:38 AM
When did they yell at you? Btw, just because its military housing doesn't make it safe. There are plenty of child sex offenders in the military. I know, I worked at the brig that housed them.
thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:41 AM

No.

Seriously, if that kid got hurt, who the hell would you call?

Sj218
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:45 AM
Sounds reasonable to me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
breydans_mommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:47 AM
No you were right, as heart breaking as it is to turn a child away because she has lazy parents. We have a huge 3 story wooden fort that also has swings and a slide and a rock climbing wall. All of the neighborhood kids always come to our house to play. But I will not let any of them on it until I meet parents face to face. I dont want to be liable if someone gets hurts. Luckily ive never run into this problem. All the parents around here are super nice and friendly. Im actually friends with a few. But they probably all suck up to me cause my house is where all the neighborhood kids come to play and hang out all day cause we have the fort a trampoline a few electric cars and a few other outside play sets. And since my house is "that house" all the kids end up here everyday. I love it!
mommaboudreaux
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:50 AM

Not at all.

breydans_mommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:53 AM
Right? How you going to explain to emsa and the cops you have no idea who this kid belongs to or where she came from.

Since im a softy I would probably load up and go to her house and make the extra effort to meet her parents. I would feel so sad that shes left out but its not her fault. I would def go the extra mile in this situation. Plus I could give them a good example of what parents are supposed to be like. Theres no reason they cant take out 20 minutes to make their kid happy. I mean it will get her outta their hair for awhile! Ugh, I hate lazy parents!

Quoting thefiregoddess:

No.

Seriously, if that kid got hurt, who the hell would you call?

LHummel
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:53 AM

Not out of line at all

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:58 AM

I would've let her play. You would probably end up meeting her parents eventually.

b.futlz
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:02 AM

no thats a good rule

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured