Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What the Ohio School Board Did-Staff can Carry Guns

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

A MEANS TO PROTECT’: OHIO SCHOOL BOARD VOTES UNANIMOUSLY TO ALLOW CUSTODIAL STAFF TO CARRY HANDGUNS

Ohio School Board Votes Unanimously to Allow Custodial Staff to Carry Handguns

Credit: Getty Images

The Montpelier Exempted Village Schools Board of Education on Wednesday voted 5-0 to allow its custodial staff to carry handguns on school property.

The affirmative vote will allow four custodians to take handgun training and carry handguns at the K-12 campus at Williams County School. The School board had been considering arming employees for nearly six months but first announced the plans during Wednesday’s meeting.

School officials say having armed personnel on campus will help prevent incidents like the tragic shooting in Newtown, Conn. in December. The school system is believed to be the first in Ohio to allow staff to be armed.

The school district will reportedly pay for a two-day training class March for the employees. Instructors with the Tactical Defense Institute of West Union, Ohio, will give them a defense class on handgun use in Montpelier.

“Sitting back and doing nothing and hoping it doesn’t happen to you is just not good policy anymore,” Superintendent Jamie Grime told The Toledo Blade. “There is a need for schools to beef up their security measures…Having guns in the hands of the right people are not a hindrance. They are a means to protect.”

School board President Larry Martin said the Sandy Hook massacre, in which 20 children and six staff were killed, expedited the school board’s decision to arm its staff.

“Our main goal is to offer safety for our students while they are in the classrooms and in the building,” he said. “We have to do something and this seems like the most logical, reasonable course to go with.”

“Mr. Grime said their legal counsel advised that Ohio’s gun law allows for school boards to authorize employees to possess weapons on school grounds if they pass the requirements of the concealed-carry law,” The Blade reports.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
seemommyrun
by Sue daNim on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:45 AM

I don't get it. Surely there is more info. than this.  They can't just hand out deadly weapons willy-nilly

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:47 AM
2 moms liked this
Hmm, I'm in Ohio and have to wonder if this is true. If so, I am all for it. No more teachers should have to lay down their lives for the kids they love. Even in our church I know we have someone in every service with a concealed carry permit, you just never know these days and I don't trust a criminal to lay down his weapons just because some "ban" says he should.
New.OrleansLady
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Good ... More should follow suit.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:48 AM

A MEANS TO PROTECT’: OHIO SCHOOL BOARD VOTES UNANIMOUSLY TO ALLOW CUSTODIAL STAFF TO CARRY HANDGUNS

Ohio School Board Votes Unanimously to Allow Custodial Staff to Carry Handguns

Credit: Getty Images

The Montpelier Exempted Village Schools Board of Education on Wednesday voted 5-0 to allow its custodial staff to carry handguns on school property.

The affirmative vote will allow four custodians to take handgun training and carry handguns at the K-12 campus at Williams County School. The School board had been considering arming employees for nearly six months but first announced the plans during Wednesday’s meeting.

School officials say having armed personnel on campus will help prevent incidents like the tragic shooting in Newtown, Conn. in December. The school system is believed to be the first in Ohio to allow staff to be armed.

The school district will reportedly pay for a two-day training class March for the employees. Instructors with the Tactical Defense Institute of West Union, Ohio, will give them a defense class on handgun use in Montpelier.

“Sitting back and doing nothing and hoping it doesn’t happen to you is just not good policy anymore,” Superintendent Jamie Grime told The Toledo Blade. “There is a need for schools to beef up their security measures…Having guns in the hands of the right people are not a hindrance. They are a means to protect.”

School board President Larry Martin said the Sandy Hook massacre, in which 20 children and six staff were killed, expedited the school board’s decision to arm its staff.

“Our main goal is to offer safety for our students while they are in the classrooms and in the building,” he said. “We have to do something and this seems like the most logical, reasonable course to go with.”

“Mr. Grime said their legal counsel advised that Ohio’s gun law allows for school boards to authorize employees to possess weapons on school grounds if they pass the requirements of the concealed-carry law,” The Blade reports.

Quoting seemommyrun:

I don't get it. Surely there is more info. than this.  They can't just hand out deadly weapons willy-nilly

Mychele
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:48 AM
Ohio here too. No clue what you're talking about.
New.OrleansLady
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:49 AM
It's true.... Montpelier school board

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2013/01/11/armed-janitors-approved-school-shootings_n_2458167.html

Quoting Anonymous:

Hmm, I'm in Ohio and have to wonder if this is true. If so, I am all for it. No more teachers should have to lay down their lives for the kids they love. Even in our church I know we have someone in every service with a concealed carry permit, you just never know these days and I don't trust a criminal to lay down his weapons just because some "ban" says he should.

katieross
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:49 AM
Shit.. I feel bad for the next criminal that walks in there lol. Jk but seriously, Ohio must be a shitty state! - I live in Canada. So my reply may be biased. Sorry :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Home » News» Education
Published: 1/10/2013 

Montpelier school board approves carrying of handguns by custodial staff

MONTPELIER, Ohio - The Montpelier Exempted Village Schools Board of Education has approved the carrying of handguns by its custodial staff.

The 5-0 vote of the board Wednesday night to allow handgun training for four custodians to be able to tote weapons at the K-12 campus at the Williams County school came after last month's deadly shooting rampage at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut.

School officials say that having armed personnel - believed to be the first for any school system in Ohio - is designed to thwart incidents of violence and prevent what happened in Newtown, Conn., from occurring here.

"Sitting back and doing nothing and hoping it doesn't happen to you is just not good policy anymore. There is a need for schools to beef up their security measures," Supertendent Jamie Grime told The Blade today. "Having guns in the hands of the right people are not a hindrance. They are a means to protect."

School board President Larry Martin said that while the school distict began looking into arming employees about six months ago, the board didn't announce the concept publicly until Wednesday's monthly meeting.

He said the Dec. 14 massacre of 20 children and six staff at Sandy Hook heightened the decision to put the resolution on the board agenda.

"Our main goal is to offer safety for our students while they are in the classrooms and in the buiding," Mr. Martin said. "We have to do something and this seems like the most logical, reasonable course to go with."

Before voting on the resolution, which was approved 5-0, village Police Chief Jeffrey Lehman met with the board and superintendent in executive session to provide advice, suggestions, and his professional opinion, said Mr. Martin, a school board member for 20 years.

School officials also reviewed the resolution with the district's Cincinnati-based law firm, Ennis, Roberts, and Fischer, LPA, to determine whether gun possession by janitors in the classroom is legal under the state's concealed-carry license law.

Mr. Grime said their legal counsel advised that Ohio's gun law allows for school boards to authorize employees to possess weapons on school grounds if they pass the requirements of the concealed-carry law.

The school district will pay for the employees to undergo a two-day training class in mid March, when instructors with the Tactical Defense Institute of West Union, Ohio, will give them a defense class on handgun use in Montpelier.

several school districts have approved this without parental knowledge

Quoting Mychele:

Ohio here too. No clue what you're talking about.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:51 AM
1 mom liked this

1. Armed Janitors Approved By Montpelier, OhioSchool Board To ...

www.huffingtonpost.com/.../armed-janitors-approved-school-shootin...
    Jan 11, 2013 – Armed Janitors Approved By Montpelier, OhioSchool Board To ...Arming the custodial staff and giving them some minimal training ... Haslam says he will consider a Tennessee plan to secretly arm and train some teachers...
  2. 'A Means to Protect': Ohio School Board Votes Unanimously to Allow ...

www.theblaze.com/.../a-means-to-protect-ohio-school-board-votes-...
    Jan 11, 2013 – Ohio School Board Votes Unanimously to Allow Custodial Staff to ...six staff were killed, expedited the school board's decision to arm its staff.
  3. Montpelier school board approves carrying of handguns by ...

www.toledoblade.com › News › Education
    Jan 10, 2013 – MONTPELIER, Ohio - The Montpelier Exempted Village Schools Boardof Education has approved the carrying of handguns by its custodial staff... to see that the best way to protect innocent kids is to arm those near them so ...
  4. School Board in Ohio Unanimously Votes To Arm Custodial Staff ...

weaselzippers.us/.../school-board-in-ohio-unanimously-votes-to-arm-...
    Jan 12, 2013 – An Ohio school board has unanimously voted to place armed custodians on their K-12 campus in an effort to better protect their students from a ...
  5. Ohio school system votes to arm custodial staff - Atlanta Political ...

www.examiner.com/.../ohio-school-system-votes-to-arm-custodial-sta...
    Jan 12, 2013 – Ohio school system votes to arm custodial staff ... continues to be debated, the Montpelier Board of Education has taken preemptive action.
  6. AOL On - Ohio School Board Votes To Arm Custodians

on.aol.com/.../ohio-school-board-votes-to-arm-custodi...
    Jan 12, 2013
    Custodial staff at one Ohio school could be trained and armed as early as ... Arizona Senator, Jeff Flake ...
  7. More videos for Ohio school board arms custodial staff »
  8. School Board in Ohio Unanimously Votes To Arm Custodial Staff

www.pa2a.org › The Blotter › News
    3 posts - 2 authors - Jan 12
    Quote: An Ohio school board has unanimously voted to place armed custodians on their K-12 campus in an effort to better protect their students ...
  9. School board votes to allow custodial staff to carry handguns | News ...

newsok.com/school-board-votes-to-allow-custodial-staff.../485932
    Jan 11, 2013 – An Ohio school board has approved the carrying of handguns by itscustodial staff... School board votes to allow custodial staff to carry handguns ....And I feel that unless you arm all personnel in a school, someone with ...
  10. Ohio school board votes to arm janitors in wake of Newtown | The ...

www.rawstory.com/.../ohio-school-board-votes-to-arm-janit...
    Stephen C. Webster
    by Stephen C. Webster - in 966 Google+ circles - More by Stephen C. Webster
    Jan 11, 2013 – Ohio school board votes to arm janitors in wake of Newtown... Custodial staff who carry weapons will be required to undergo a two day training ...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:54 AM
That's funny, I think Canada in general is pretty shitty.

Quoting katieross:

Shit.. I feel bad for the next criminal that walks in there lol. Jk but seriously, Ohio must be a shitty state! - I live in Canada. So my reply may be biased. Sorry :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN