Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

cruise with just birth certificate ETA

Has anyone just recently hone on a cruise without a passport and only a BC?

i spoke to them and checked travel.state.gov like they said and checked Bahamas like they said and do not have to have one!!! Whew! A birth cert and valid drivers license is all I need!

Thanks mommas :)

My sister did last yr. Carnivals website says you can but my travel agent is like wellllllll

But I depart in 49 days and don't really wanna pay 200 ugh

Any advice
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I would never go overseas without a passport because there are so many times you need one.  

What if you want to stop at port and see the local bazaar?  They will keep you tied to that ship because you have no passport to enter a foreign country. It's a violation of US law to return from any other country without a passport, imcluding Canada and Mexico.  It's also a violation of the law of the other country not to have a passport.  If you are within their waterways, you are supposed to have one.

justpeachy71904
by peachy on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:24 AM
That is what their we site says

It says as long as you are a us citizen you are safe to depart and reembark on the same port. And we are not flying.

Hmmm

Thanks!!

Quoting Miss_Frog:

We were just on a Disney cruise in December and none of us had passports. We were told that if you departed and returned to the same port in the US you don't need one.

madmueller
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I would make sure to get a passport, you wouldn't like to have paid all that $$, all excited about your trip, then be the one in line when they say you can't board without a passport.  Your travel agent should know that and should have told you to have one.  I don't want to say that I am telling you to do it, but I would seriously check with them..it's just covering yourself.

Have a wonderful trip!

unspecified42
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Oh, good. I thought that is what I had heard but it seemed off to cancel them all.

Quoting justpeachy71904:

No... We weren't told that. I think just the ones on that broken ship :(

Quoting unspecified42:

I thought carnival cancelled all cruises for a while?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jennyanne322
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:24 AM
It depends where you are going. God forbid you get hurt or sick while in port, you are stuck on that island without a passport. It's smarter to have as a just in case.
KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:25 AM
I would personally get the passport. Bc of the mixed info your getting. It won't hurt to have it in the end bc you can use it for many years after
justpeachy71904
by peachy on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:25 AM
See this is where I am confused because my sister used only her BC and went on land and excursions without a passport. Hmm

Quoting Anonymous:

I would never go overseas without a passport because there are so many times you need one.  

What if you want to stop at port and see the local bazaar?  They will keep you tied to that ship because you have no passport to enter a foreign country. It's a violation of US law to return from any other country without a passport, imcluding Canada and Mexico.  It's also a violation of the law of the other country not to have a passport.  If you are within their waterways, you are supposed to have one.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Problem is you can never exit the ship during your cruise.  What is the point if you can't get off at some of the locations where they dock.

Quoting justpeachy71904:

That is what their we site says

It says as long as you are a us citizen you are safe to depart and reembark on the same port. And we are not flying.

Hmmm

Thanks!!

Quoting Miss_Frog:

We were just on a Disney cruise in December and none of us had passports. We were told that if you departed and returned to the same port in the US you don't need one.

justpeachy71904
by peachy on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Ok. I am getting the idea reading through the different cruise lines websites as long as you are not flying to you are ok!

Thanks a bunch :)

Quoting auntietotty:

Quoting Miss_Frog:

This.  My sister took a cruise..departed from Mobile...went to Progresso and Cozumel and returned to Mobile...no passport needed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Better safe than sorry.... why chance it over $200?
Get the passport!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN