Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

cruise with just birth certificate ETA

Has anyone just recently hone on a cruise without a passport and only a BC?

i spoke to them and checked travel.state.gov like they said and checked Bahamas like they said and do not have to have one!!! Whew! A birth cert and valid drivers license is all I need!

Thanks mommas :)

My sister did last yr. Carnivals website says you can but my travel agent is like wellllllll

But I depart in 49 days and don't really wanna pay 200 ugh

Any advice
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Replies (21-30):
lindilouwho82
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:28 AM

I have always had my passport but I did not need it for the Alaskan cruise or Caribbean. But I did need it for the Mediterranean.

justpeachy71904
by peachy on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:28 AM
That's so weird. My sister did on her cruise. Ok that might be new. I am going to try and call them!

Thanks ladies :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Problem is you can never exit the ship during your cruise.  What is the point if you can't get off at some of the locations where they dock.

Quoting justpeachy71904:

That is what their we site says

It says as long as you are a us citizen you are safe to depart and reembark on the same port. And we are not flying.

Hmmm

Thanks!!

Quoting Miss_Frog:

We were just on a Disney cruise in December and none of us had passports. We were told that if you departed and returned to the same port in the US you don't need one.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Problem is you can never exit the ship during your cruise.  What is the point if you can't get off at some of the locations where they dock.

Quoting justpeachy71904:

That is what their we site says

It says as long as you are a us citizen you are safe to depart and reembark on the same port. And we are not flying.

Hmmm

Thanks!!

Quoting Miss_Frog:

We were just on a Disney cruise in December and none of us had passports. We were told that if you departed and returned to the same port in the US you don't need one.

This is untrue.. you can disembark with a passport. They don't check it as they take your picture before embarking onto the ship and it is attached to your passcard. They check your picture disembarking and embarking in port. They don't check your passport. 

However, if you get left by the ship, you will need that passport to travel to the next port. 

I've been cruising for 20 years, so I'm pretty well versed in how cruises work. :-) 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:29 AM

She violated the law then.  

Go to the state dept website and do some reading:

website

Quoting justpeachy71904:

See this is where I am confused because my sister used only her BC and went on land and excursions without a passport. Hmm

Quoting Anonymous:

I would never go overseas without a passport because there are so many times you need one.  

What if you want to stop at port and see the local bazaar?  They will keep you tied to that ship because you have no passport to enter a foreign country. It's a violation of US law to return from any other country without a passport, imcluding Canada and Mexico.  It's also a violation of the law of the other country not to have a passport.  If you are within their waterways, you are supposed to have one.

anyotherday
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:31 AM

How do you expect us to know the situation when all you said was you didnt want to spend the 200 dollars? Either way, I stand by my original statement.

Quoting justpeachy71904:

Well seeing as 1 it isn't elaborate

2 I just booked it

3 I had to order my birth certificate because I didn't have an official copy and just received it on the mail! I haven't had the time to order it and my honeymoon is April 8

so if you don know the situation how about just answer the question and not be a snob ;)

Quoting anyotherday:

It's a good idea to have a passport anyway... and it should have been included in your vacation budgeting. I dont understand people who plan these elaborate vacations, and then balk at getting the right paperwork in order to even go. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:33 AM
My dd us going on a cruise in April with her high school band. We were told we can send a certified birth certificate. Over 16 must bring a license or a permit. After paying well over a grand I can't afford a passport!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:34 AM
Oh and my dd will be going on an excursion! So that is false in my situation.. ^^^
FooLynRoo
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I know someone who did two years ago and is going again this year. BC is just fine.

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

It depends on where the cruise is going.  And where you get off the ship.  Even a number of years ago, we needed a passport to get off the ship (and back on) when we cruised to Mexico (on Carnival yet).  Just recently, my son and his girlfriend cruised to Mexico, and becauses his girlfriend didn't have a passport, they couldn't leave the ship at all.

scarletmeshell
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I would get the passport and do it today. If something happens and you miss the ship or have to leave the ship for medical reasons you will have to pay much more to get this handled and get home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)