Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

cruise with just birth certificate ETA

Has anyone just recently hone on a cruise without a passport and only a BC?

i spoke to them and checked travel.state.gov like they said and checked Bahamas like they said and do not have to have one!!! Whew! A birth cert and valid drivers license is all I need!

Thanks mommas :)

My sister did last yr. Carnivals website says you can but my travel agent is like wellllllll

But I depart in 49 days and don't really wanna pay 200 ugh

Any advice
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Most countries do not even accept a "passport card".  It is very limited in it's use to Mexico, Canada, and the Carribean.  It's not even that much cheaper.  It's $55 to get one and $135 to have a full fledged passport.

Also, your one exception about being left behind is not the only exception.  If any foreign police officer asks to see your documentation, you need to have it.  If you get arrested, you will need a passport.  If you get ill and need to be airlifted, you need a passport.  If there is civil unrest in the port, you will be asked for the passport.  

Just because you've been on cruises, dosn't mean you have experienced all the things that can go wrong.  Hell, I was on a boat that stopped at Cozumel and we took the ferry across to Playa Del Carmen and there was a "pirate" attack.  They threw the captain overboard and stole jewelry from people on board.  We needed a passport when talking to the police when we docked. 

Quoting mcginnisc:
Quoting Anonymous:

Problem is you can never exit the ship during your cruise.  What is the point if you can't get off at some of the locations where they dock.

Quoting justpeachy71904:

That is what their we site says

It says as long as you are a us citizen you are safe to depart and reembark on the same port. And we are not flying.

Hmmm

Thanks!!

Quoting Miss_Frog:

We were just on a Disney cruise in December and none of us had passports. We were told that if you departed and returned to the same port in the US you don't need one.

This is untrue.. you can disembark with a passport. They don't check it as they take your picture before embarking onto the ship and it is attached to your passcard. They check your picture disembarking and embarking in port. They don't check your passport. 

However, if you get left by the ship, you will need that passport to travel to the next port. 

I've been cruising for 20 years, so I'm pretty well versed in how cruises work. :-) 

Melbornj
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:36 AM

What if you need to return stateside because of a family emergency?

Miss_Frog
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this

You can get off the ship in port. It may depend on the country, but you can't say you can never exit the ship. I had no passport and was able to do excursions on two islands. I have no passport.

Quoting Anonymous:

Problem is you can never exit the ship during your cruise.  What is the point if you can't get off at some of the locations where they dock.

Quoting justpeachy71904:

It says as long as you are a us citizen you are safe to depart and reembark on the same port. And we are not flying.

Hmmm

Thanks!!

Quoting Miss_Frog:

We were just on a Disney cruise in December and none of us had passports. We were told that if you departed and returned to the same port in the US you don't need one.

suetoo
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:38 AM

It depends on your ports of call. I think each countries rules are different. I had to have a certified copy of my 8 yr olds birth cert and a notarized letter from her dad giving me permission to take her out of the country. 

aprilsalcro
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Well that would suck if you decide to not get a passport and then you need o_o
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I would get one.  You can have it same day if you go to an embassey and 2 weeks if you mail it in epidited.  It's only $135.

Quoting scarletmeshell:

I would get the passport and do it today. If something happens and you miss the ship or have to leave the ship for medical reasons you will have to pay much more to get this handled and get home.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM

And what would you have done if the local police asked to see your papers?

Quoting Miss_Frog:

You can get off the ship in port. It may depend on the country, but you can't say you can never exit the ship. I had no passport and was able to do excursions on two islands. I have no passport.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting justpeachy71904:

Hmmm

Thanks!!

Quoting Miss_Frog:

Joelkatie
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I'm pretty sure that kids have to have a passport too. I remember talking to someone about it because I thought it was absurd! Kids grow so fast that it won't take much for them to look totally different from thir passport pic.

JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Depends on where you are going. I would spend the $200 and get one just to be safe.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:43 AM
You can get a smaller version of a passport. I can't remember what its called, but basically all its good for it traveling to Mexico and Canada. It's like $25 or something and it doesn't take as long to get and you can easily upgrade to a regular passport later. This is what my mother got when she went on a cruise to cozumel. They told her it would make things much easier than trying to use a bc.

Quoting justpeachy71904:

No... We weren't told that. I think just the ones on that broken ship :(

Quoting unspecified42:

I thought carnival cancelled all cruises for a while?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN