Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

cruise with just birth certificate ETA

Has anyone just recently hone on a cruise without a passport and only a BC?

i spoke to them and checked travel.state.gov like they said and checked Bahamas like they said and do not have to have one!!! Whew! A birth cert and valid drivers license is all I need!

Thanks mommas :)

My sister did last yr. Carnivals website says you can but my travel agent is like wellllllll

But I depart in 49 days and don't really wanna pay 200 ugh

Any advice
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Replies (41-50):
JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Depends on where you are going. I would spend the $200 and get one just to be safe.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Yes you can. The problem comes if you miss the ship when it leaves then you are in trouble with out a passport. We went two years ago on a cruise to the carribean with just our BC.

Quoting Anonymous:

Problem is you can never exit the ship during your cruise.  What is the point if you can't get off at some of the locations where they dock.

Quoting justpeachy71904:

That is what their we site says

It says as long as you are a us citizen you are safe to depart and reembark on the same port. And we are not flying.

Hmmm

Thanks!!

Quoting Miss_Frog:

We were just on a Disney cruise in December and none of us had passports. We were told that if you departed and returned to the same port in the US you don't need one.

spooky415
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM
You just can't get off the ship, right?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CookieMom108
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:46 AM

The last time I took a Carnival cruise, I didn't need a passport or bc. 

Miss_Frog
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Actually they did ask when we got off in our first port. They were happy with your birth certificate and drivers license. 

Quoting Anonymous:

And what would you have done if the local police asked to see your papers?

Quoting Miss_Frog:

You can get off the ship in port. It may depend on the country, but you can't say you can never exit the ship. I had no passport and was able to do excursions on two islands. I have no passport.

Quoting Anonymous:

Problem is you can never exit the ship during your cruise.  What is the point if you can't get off at some of the locations where they dock.

Quoting justpeachy71904:

It says as long as you are a us citizen you are safe to depart and reembark on the same port. And we are not flying.

Hmmm

Thanks!!

Quoting Miss_Frog:

We were just on a Disney cruise in December and none of us had passports. We were told that if you departed and returned to the same port in the US you don't need one.

two4one
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Yeo, I gave been on 4 cruises, all with just Birth Certificates. The only problem would be that if you needed to fly home for any reason, you can't.

two4one
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:49 AM

You can get off the ship. I do it all the time. You just cannot leave the country any other way than on the cruise ship.

Quoting spooky415:

Peyton and Mackenzie~11/22/04

Do Not Breed or Buy Labels

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:50 AM

That isn't the only problem...

If you get injured in port and need to be airlifted out.  If there is a criminal event (you are robbed, etc) and you need to speak to the police.  On many islands the police will ask to see your papers and if you don't have them, they will expect a good size bribe to let you go.  And the list goes on and on....

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes you can. The problem comes if you miss the ship when it leaves then you are in trouble with out a passport. We went two years ago on a cruise to the carribean with just our BC.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting justpeachy71904:

Hmmm

Thanks!!

Quoting Miss_Frog:

spooky415
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:50 AM
when my parents took a cruise they were only allowed to get off on US territories.

Quoting two4one:

You can get off the ship. I do it all the time. You just cannot leave the country any other way than on the cruise ship.

Quoting spooky415:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
two4one
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh for heaven's sake, she did not violate the law. Please stop giving out misinformation. OP, please just take your advice from people who have actually been on a cruise with just the BC.

Quoting Anonymous:

She violated the law then.  

Go to the state dept website and do some reading:

website

Quoting justpeachy71904:

See this is where I am confused because my sister used only her BC and went on land and excursions without a passport. Hmm

Quoting Anonymous:

I would never go overseas without a passport because there are so many times you need one.  

What if you want to stop at port and see the local bazaar?  They will keep you tied to that ship because you have no passport to enter a foreign country. It's a violation of US law to return from any other country without a passport, imcluding Canada and Mexico.  It's also a violation of the law of the other country not to have a passport.  If you are within their waterways, you are supposed to have one.

Peyton and Mackenzie~11/22/04

Do Not Breed or Buy Labels

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)