Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

what can you do about messed up teeth? help please!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I know some people are gonna bash but I need help. My teeth are horrible and ruined. I've had probably 8 pulled already and at least six more that need to be pulled. Luckily they have been in the back of my mouth...until now :(. My two front teeth have been getting worse and worse and this morning one broke completely in half.....so now there's a half tooth and a huge gap in between. I am so embarrassed. And before anyone says anything, I took care of my teeth my entire life. Never had a cavity at all until I was 18 but then I got pregnant with mt first child, and they have went to shit since then and the Dr says its because my body was lacking so many vitamins. Now four kids later, they are really bad and I can't smile at all and never take pics with my kids.
We don't have a ton of money so what is something I can do for my teeth? I really don't want to pull them all and get dentures. I've heard about the teeth that they screw in or something, how much would that be? Is there any other alternative to getting my teeth fixed?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Replies (21-30):
mysticalmalissa
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

You dont have much of a choice other then dentures, unless you have some fantastic dental insurence.

I just got an upper denture this past fall. Its the best gift I ever bought myself.

JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Implants are super expensive, dentures may be the more affordable options.
Sorry momma. I would also look into vitamin supplements as if a vitamin deficiency is ruining your feet you may have hidden issues with your organs that have yet been detected.

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:02 AM
A bridge on the top teeth may be an option, and covered my insurance. IF the two teeth on either side are healthy enough.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Check out some of the local dental schools. They usually offer deep discounts. Good luck. I have issues with 2 teeth and it is awful.

mysticalmalissa
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Anon, if you want, pm me and I will give you a link to an amazing denture support group. The people there are amazing, you will never be bashed and any and all questions you have will be answered.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM

It's hard for us to say what you will need OP. Your best bet is to go to a dentist. A "fixed partial" is a bridge. It contains more than one crown all saltered together. Teeth are prepared for a crown and the bridge is permanently cemented to teeth.  The cost of a bridge really depends on how many crowns are needed for the bridge. In the picture below, this is a 3 unit bridge. Each crown has a price. The artificial tooth is replacing the missing tooth in the center:

This (the picture below) is a removable partial denture. This is ideal when there are healthy teeth don't have to be pulled. Existing teeth help hold the partial in place:

File:Denture example 2.jpg

Quoting JDmommyJD:

I believe they still also work on the bottom.

They will give you the option of fixed or not. Fixed, is not removable.

Quoting Anonymous:

Could you have that done to the bottom ones too or only the top? And do they stay In place or can they come out? I just hate the idea of being 25 and my teeth being able to come out lol.

Quoting JDmommyJD:

Dental implants will cost you about $3000 per tooth, in the end. You could go the denture route, which is cheapest. Another option is a fixed partial, or bridge. Fake teeth, fixed in place....but not implanted. The bridge will run you around 3000 as well, but unlike an implant, its for all the top teeth...not one.

AGAIN, THERE IS NO WAY THAT ANY OF US WILL BE ABLE TO TELL YOU WHAT YOU NEED. YOU WILL HAVE TO GO TO A DENTIST IN ORDER TO UNDERSTAND WHAT WOULD BE IDEAL FOR YOU.

queen_k0302
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Your gums do not have to heal before getting a crown. Crowns are place after a root canal. I just got both at the same time on feb 7th.

OP. It will be cheaper to get the pulled and get dentures. Because you have not been to a dentist in so long the first visit will be expensive also. Panoramic xrays are costly. Here they give a discount for paying at the time of your visit or paying for your dental work with payment plans before.

Getting dentures isn't a bad thing. Your babies will be happier to see a smiling mommy again. Good luck.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

You could probably save what is left by having root canals and caps, but that is costly.  You could have implants, which would require a visit to the cosmetic dentist that performs implants.

Other than that, your only option is false teeth.  I'd go the implant route since they can do your whole mouth in a day.

This is not necessarily true. The process is longer than a day. Your gums/bone have to heal after the initial placement of an implant before you can receive a crown. Sometimes this can take 6-8wks.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
thefiregoddess
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Makes me sad that so many of us go without basic healthcare (dentistry)

Damn.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:17 AM

HAHA professional advice she says....

Implants fail when restored too quickly. The last thing you want to do is prematurely place crowns at newly placed implants that have not had ample amount of healing time. This is the problem with CORPORATE dentistry. It sounds good, looks good but in the end the contraindications are not explained and the unrealistic expectations of an anxious buyer makes the sale alot easier.  

Quoting Anonymous:

This is old info.  There is a new way of doing implants that allow you to go home the same day with a full set that have the crowns.  This is why I say you need professional advice.  

Check the ClearChoice website and they describe the advances that allow same day options.  Full mouth options range from $4,000-$40,000.  You'd probably want the "all on 4" treatment.   They can do top and bottom with just 4 posts on each.

ClearChoice

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

You could probably save what is left by having root canals and caps, but that is costly.  You could have implants, which would require a visit to the cosmetic dentist that performs implants.

Other than that, your only option is false teeth.  I'd go the implant route since they can do your whole mouth in a day.

This is not necessarily true. The process is longer than a day. Your gums/bone have to heal after the initial placement of an implant before you can receive a crown. Sometimes this can take 6-8wks. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I would look in to getting dental implants for your front teeth. They run around $900 per tooth. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)