Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

what can you do about messed up teeth? help please!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I know some people are gonna bash but I need help. My teeth are horrible and ruined. I've had probably 8 pulled already and at least six more that need to be pulled. Luckily they have been in the back of my mouth...until now :(. My two front teeth have been getting worse and worse and this morning one broke completely in half.....so now there's a half tooth and a huge gap in between. I am so embarrassed. And before anyone says anything, I took care of my teeth my entire life. Never had a cavity at all until I was 18 but then I got pregnant with mt first child, and they have went to shit since then and the Dr says its because my body was lacking so many vitamins. Now four kids later, they are really bad and I can't smile at all and never take pics with my kids.
We don't have a ton of money so what is something I can do for my teeth? I really don't want to pull them all and get dentures. I've heard about the teeth that they screw in or something, how much would that be? Is there any other alternative to getting my teeth fixed?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Quoting queen_k0302:

Your gums do not have to heal before getting a crown. Crowns are place after a root canal. I just got both at the same time on feb 7th. WHO MENTIONED ROOT CANALS? WE WERE TALKING ABOUT IMPLANTS. AN IMPLANT CROWN AND A CROWN FOR AN EXISTING TOOTH ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS.

OP. It will be cheaper to get the pulled and get dentures. Because you have not been to a dentist in so long the first visit will be expensive also. Panoramic xrays are costly. Here they give a discount for paying at the time of your visit or paying for your dental work with payment plans before.

Getting dentures isn't a bad thing. Your babies will be happier to see a smiling mommy again. Good luck.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

You could probably save what is left by having root canals and caps, but that is costly.  You could have implants, which would require a visit to the cosmetic dentist that performs implants.

Other than that, your only option is false teeth.  I'd go the implant route since they can do your whole mouth in a day.

This is not necessarily true. The process is longer than a day. Your gums/bone have to heal after the initial placement of an implant before you can receive a crown. Sometimes this can take 6-8wks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:25 AM
I know how ou feel. I was in a bad car accident 9 years ago and over the years my teeth have just gotten worse. I am actually going tomorrow to have all my teeth taken out. Your just going to have to look at the options in your area.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I went through the SAME thing. Medicaid wont cover root canals, so I had them pull my four front teeth and I got a fitted partial put in. It cost $1200 out of pocket since Medicaid will only pay for ONE denture your whole life. The partial is there to cover the gaps while my jaw bone heals. I just made my appointment to get fitted for a permanent denture because my partial is starting to fit loosely now.

Im 24. It sucks, but you do what you have to do. Those "screw thingys" are teeth implants which can cost thousands for EACH tooth.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Can anyone tell that they are dentures? I'm so worried about that bc my mom got dentures and hers are horrible...she went to one of those 1-800denture places and hers is way too big for her mouth and looks bad. Where did you go and how much was it total?

Quoting mysticalmalissa:

You dont have much of a choice other then dentures, unless you have some fantastic dental insurence.

I just got an upper denture this past fall. Its the best gift I ever bought myself.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM
How do you find out where a dental school is? I've never seen or heard of one anywhere near here.

Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

Check out some of the local dental schools. They usually offer deep discounts. Good luck. I have issues with 2 teeth and it is awful.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Pics?
LaughingTattoo
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:54 AM

The cheapest thing would be to have them all pulled and get dentures. Sorry :( Even that will be around 2000-3000

LaughingTattoo
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:56 AM

My husband has dentures. He went to a local dentist not a chain. They allowed him to make payments. His uppers were 450....and thats for a half decent set. He doesnt wear lowers bc they bug him. You cant tell they arre dnetures

Quoting Anonymous:

Can anyone tell that they are dentures? I'm so worried about that bc my mom got dentures and hers are horrible...she went to one of those 1-800denture places and hers is way too big for her mouth and looks bad. Where did you go and how much was it total?

Quoting mysticalmalissa:

You dont have much of a choice other then dentures, unless you have some fantastic dental insurence.

I just got an upper denture this past fall. Its the best gift I ever bought myself.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
mysticalmalissa
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I paid just over $900 for my extractions and denture. Ive had a couple people ask me if I had my teeth whitened. LOL 

They made mine to look exactly like my own teeth, including the slight buck tooth I had in the front.

I had my extractions done at a different place from the denture place.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mysticalmalissa:

JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:21 AM
I'm sure she knows what we say is not stone.. She is probably just looking for possibilities and ballpark figures. Nothing wrong with that.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's hard for us to say what you will need OP. Your best bet is to go to a dentist. A "fixed partial" is a bridge. It contains more than one crown all saltered together. Teeth are prepared for a crown and the bridge is permanently cemented to teeth.  The cost of a bridge really depends on how many crowns are needed for the bridge. In the picture below, this is a 3 unit bridge. Each crown has a price. The artificial tooth is replacing the missing tooth in the center:

This (the picture below) is a removable partial denture. This is ideal when there are healthy teeth don't have to be pulled. Existing teeth help hold the partial in place:

File:Denture example 2.jpg

Quoting JDmommyJD:

I believe they still also work on the bottom.

They will give you the option of fixed or not. Fixed, is not removable.

Quoting Anonymous:

Could you have that done to the bottom ones too or only the top? And do they stay In place or can they come out? I just hate the idea of being 25 and my teeth being able to come out lol.

Quoting JDmommyJD:

Dental implants will cost you about $3000 per tooth, in the end. You could go the denture route, which is cheapest. Another option is a fixed partial, or bridge. Fake teeth, fixed in place....but not implanted. The bridge will run you around 3000 as well, but unlike an implant, its for all the top teeth...not one.

AGAIN, THERE IS NO WAY THAT ANY OF US WILL BE ABLE TO TELL YOU WHAT YOU NEED. YOU WILL HAVE TO GO TO A DENTIST IN ORDER TO UNDERSTAND WHAT WOULD BE IDEAL FOR YOU.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)