Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

what can you do about messed up teeth? help please!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I know some people are gonna bash but I need help. My teeth are horrible and ruined. I've had probably 8 pulled already and at least six more that need to be pulled. Luckily they have been in the back of my mouth...until now :(. My two front teeth have been getting worse and worse and this morning one broke completely in half.....so now there's a half tooth and a huge gap in between. I am so embarrassed. And before anyone says anything, I took care of my teeth my entire life. Never had a cavity at all until I was 18 but then I got pregnant with mt first child, and they have went to shit since then and the Dr says its because my body was lacking so many vitamins. Now four kids later, they are really bad and I can't smile at all and never take pics with my kids.
We don't have a ton of money so what is something I can do for my teeth? I really don't want to pull them all and get dentures. I've heard about the teeth that they screw in or something, how much would that be? Is there any other alternative to getting my teeth fixed?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Do you brush after every meal and floss before bed ?
If you don't,then you are SOL.
supercarp
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Implants are the most expensive solution and dental insurance doesn't cover it. You should go to a dentist immediately and get whatever treatment you can get before your only option is dentures. You can improve your diet; that will help. It can't be a surprise to you that you shouldbrush and floss daily and I bet you don't do it. And quit having kids. If you can't afford dental work, you can't afford another kid. Do they have bad teeth, too?

tossed
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I included veneers in case there is a tooth that could be salvaged. Implants are the more expensive route. People who have teeth that easily break are frequently poor candidates for implants. 

There are conditions which are not prevented with annual check ups. I have teeth that shatter. In one week, 3 teeth just broke...no cavity. My dentist (and subsequent dentists) have said there is nothing that can be done to stop or prevent this. I currently have 8 broken teeth. My roots do not do well with root canals and there is often not enough for caps. It is frustrating and something many in my family face. It is frustrating for dentists because almost any work they try to do on my teeth results in crumbles. For me, it is a combination of genetics, osteoporosis, sjorgens, and lupus. I have put off dentures as long as possible and know that they are in my future this year...age 52. When I was in my 20s, my dentist predicted I would be lucky to make it to 50 without dentures. My mom had them at 28.

If she goes with a plan like the discount plan Humana has, she can have them pulled and dentures for considerably less than $5K.  The plan has extractions for $22 and full dentures for $800. It is a better option than the insurance plans they have if one needs extensive dental work. 

Veneers would not be useful anyway with missing and broken teeth.

She waited too long instead of taking care of it qwhen it started and going for annual checkups.  Now every option will be thousands of dollars.  Pulling the rest and getting false teeth could be $5000.

Quoting tossed:

But, a mouthful of implants and veneers is from $20-50,000 on how extensive the treatment plan. That is just out of reach for most people.

Quoting Anonymous:

You could probably save what is left by having root canals and caps, but that is costly.  You could have implants, which would require a visit to the cosmetic dentist that performs implants.

Other than that, your only option is false teeth.  I'd go the implant route since they can do your whole mouth in a day.

tossed
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:36 PM

OP, what state are you in?

Beth3721
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:39 PM

You can lead a good life with dentures.  It will probably be the most cost effective solution for you.  It will also make you more comfortable both physically and emotionally. 

Tooth_Inspector
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Implants are a couple thousand and it sounds like a partial is out of the options. Dentures are a pain in the ass, and I'm not kidding. Lower dentures will just sit on our bone so most of our pts carry them in their pocket because they hate them lol implant supported dentures are an awesome option because the denture will be anchored in their so you won't have problems with them falling out or moving. Look into care credit, may help cover some costs. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Apply for medicaid
Destiny907
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I feel your pain... I think you should see your nearest "smile Center".  they will set up a payment plan for your care, they are good for those who do not have insurance.

AND the nearest dental college to you also can be wonderful for those needing some help affording dental care.

It really stinks to have mouth woes.   Hope you can go get some care. 

cmorden06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Who said there was something wrong with that? You are reading too much into my comment. The best advice in the world is that of a dentist. Good luck OP.

Quoting JDmommyJD:

I'm sure she knows what we say is not stone.. She is probably just looking for possibilities and ballpark figures. Nothing wrong with that.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's hard for us to say what you will need OP. Your best bet is to go to a dentist. A "fixed partial" is a bridge. It contains more than one crown all saltered together. Teeth are prepared for a crown and the bridge is permanently cemented to teeth.  The cost of a bridge really depends on how many crowns are needed for the bridge. In the picture below, this is a 3 unit bridge. Each crown has a price. The artificial tooth is replacing the missing tooth in the center:

This (the picture below) is a removable partial denture. This is ideal when there are healthy teeth don't have to be pulled. Existing teeth help hold the partial in place:

File:Denture example 2.jpg

Quoting JDmommyJD:

I believe they still also work on the bottom.

They will give you the option of fixed or not. Fixed, is not removable.

Quoting Anonymous:

Could you have that done to the bottom ones too or only the top? And do they stay In place or can they come out? I just hate the idea of being 25 and my teeth being able to come out lol.

Quoting JDmommyJD:

Dental implants will cost you about $3000 per tooth, in the end. You could go the denture route, which is cheapest. Another option is a fixed partial, or bridge. Fake teeth, fixed in place....but not implanted. The bridge will run you around 3000 as well, but unlike an implant, its for all the top teeth...not one.

AGAIN, THERE IS NO WAY THAT ANY OF US WILL BE ABLE TO TELL YOU WHAT YOU NEED. YOU WILL HAVE TO GO TO A DENTIST IN ORDER TO UNDERSTAND WHAT WOULD BE IDEAL FOR YOU.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN