Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Second wedding?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
Since weddings and getting married seems to be the hot topic lately, I've been thinking.
So and I live together, have a child together, and do everything as if we are married. So we're thinking why not just get married? Well,I would feel silly doing the whole white dress thing again. Because we've both been married before and had big weddings. I don't want it to be so impersonal as a courthouse wedding either .
How could I do it like, outside, or something without it being tacky? In someone's backyard ? I'd only want to invite the closest friends and family, but then you risk pissing off the rest of the family........help!!!!!!
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
superwoman8977
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM

do what we did, didnt tell anyone got married at the courthouse on Valentines Day and did our own thing.  I dont give a damn what my family thinks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:15 AM

That's what dh and i did. It was both of ours first wedding but we didn't feel the need to do the big wedding thing. We had a family friend marry us at our special spot on the lake and then had the reception at my moms house. We only had immediate family and four of our closest friends. I don't think it pissed any one off since the total guest list was maybe 12-15 people. If they get mad, oh well. its your day, do what you guys want. I don't regret a single thing about our wedding. It was the perfect day.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:15 AM
But I want to include some family ....just not all fifty thousand of them lol

Quoting superwoman8977:

do what we did, didnt tell anyone got married at the courthouse on Valentines Day and did our own thing.  I dont give a damn what my family thinks.

BabyBrooke13
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I had a friend who for her first wedding just did a little ceremony with only immediate family and closest friends (I mean friends since middle school or longer type) and no boyfriends/girlfriends or SO's unless they were married . . . she didn't want the elaborate wedding, but had been saving for one because it's what everyone was expecting . . . in the end she had her simple ceremony because she had been angaged over 3 years and was just tired of saving and waiting . . . there were hurt feelings (one of her sisters didn't come because her flavor of the month wasnt invited), but she is married to the love of her life and they will be having their first baby in a few months . . . after the baby is here we are going to give her a big party (reception) to celebrate her wedding vows since there were so many of us who didn't get to celebrate with her that day, but we want to show her how happy we are that she has found her one and only . . .

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Just invite like mom, dad, siblings, grandparents and a handful of close friends. I am sure if you explain not wanting such a big wedding for a second wedding ppl would understand. In a backyard with a arch and flowers decorating it maybe? A friend of my grand parents did that and it was pretty nice and there wedding was actually kinda big...

They then had their reception in their huge ass barn on the other side of there yard.

kagegirl
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Do what you feel is right. It is about YOU and YOUR HUSBAND, not anyone else. If people get butt hurt, that's their problem, not yours.

The_Doodle
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I would look into bed and breakfasts. Some have wedding packages where you pay for the wedding and a small amount of guests, like less than 10. That way you can kind of blame the package for not inviting your second cousin once removed ("Oh, I can only invite ten people and I have to invite my parents/siblings!" kind of thing)

EricaG87
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:07 AM

My first wedding was huge but this is DF's first wedding.  we want it to be a small affair and because of family issues and lack of funds we will be having a VERY small wedding, approximately 25 guests.  We will be having it outside at a park in a nice area and bring potted flowers to decorate with and decorate an arch with flowers to be married under/in front of and a little table for the unity stuff. we will likely do the sand instead of the candles because being outside"  the wind might blow out the candles. The wedding party will be me and DF, his best friend as his best man, my best friend as my maid of honor, my 3 kids and his kid as flower girls and ring bearers, and I will be giving myself away. There will be no formal seating of the parents or grandparents or anything, no ushers.  My maid of honor sings and plays guitar and she will play the music to "marry me" by train as she and the kids walk up the aisle. When I walk up the aisle she will begin singing the song.  We will say our own vows.  We will have a lunch at a decorated hall and just the two of us dance to a few songs that are special to us. I'm not sure what I will be wearing for a dress, I haven't decided.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:44 PM
That sounds nice!

Quoting EricaG87:

My first wedding was huge but this is DF's first wedding.  we want it to be a small affair and because of family issues and lack of funds we will be having a VERY small wedding, approximately 25 guests.  We will be having it outside at a park in a nice area and bring potted flowers to decorate with and decorate an arch with flowers to be married under/in front of and a little table for the unity stuff. we will likely do the sand instead of the candles because being outside"  the wind might blow out the candles. The wedding party will be me and DF, his best friend as his best man, my best friend as my maid of honor, my 3 kids and his kid as flower girls and ring bearers, and I will be giving myself away. There will be no formal seating of the parents or grandparents or anything, no ushers.  My maid of honor sings and plays guitar and she will play the music to "marry me" by train as she and the kids walk up the aisle. When I walk up the aisle she will begin singing the song.  We will say our own vows.  We will have a lunch at a decorated hall and just the two of us dance to a few songs that are special to us. I'm not sure what I will be wearing for a dress, I haven't decided.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:45 PM

do what you and your SO want - and if i ever get married again i would wear a blush colored dress and just have a close family and friends there - i blew alot of money on my first two marriages NEVER again just because you have a huge and expensive wedding there are NO guarantees they are gonna last LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)