Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I may be a little old fashioned, but ...

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:04 PM
  • 71 Replies
8 moms liked this

I'm just not caring for the way clothes for small little girls is looking more and more mature and in smaller and smaller sizes. My mom and I went shopping with my girls (3 and 5) Saturday which was a very successful shopping trip, but I noticed that a lot of the clothes for little girls looks like tiny versions of clothes for high school and college girls. One of the skirts I saw looked like something for clubbing.

Now, I LOVE adorable clothes for my girls and I admit I spend lots of money on their clothes, but I just really think little girls should look like little girls. I just don't understand growing them up so fast. They will be teens and college girls so soon anyway. Why skip the little girl stuff?

Okay that's my rant for today.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SunshneDaydream
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I agree with you.  Some of the clothes I see at Target just makes me shudder.

bcoll
by Brandi on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:07 PM

With 4 little girls of my own, I know how you feel. But there are clothes out there, I promise lol.

Where do you normally shop?

CheesyKitty
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe you should look at it as teens wearing stuff that is more appropriate for little girls. I have never looked at a little kid and thought "omg what is she wearing, where are her parents" but have that thought almost daily about teens.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Where are you shopping? I found that true in some stores and not others. 

RiotousDigits
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:12 PM

AGREE enthusiastically.  Not only in the style, but the fit.  Girls clothes are cut smaller starting at about 12mo. even though their bodies are absolutely not different.  shirts are shorter and more narrow.  pants are tighter with a shorter rise.

I am so so so so tired of seeing my 8 year olds butt hanging out of her pants - even leggings - but i can't buy them bigger or they won't stay on.  buy a pair of boys jeans and they fit like a dream.  I refuse to let my long torsoed girls walk around with their belly' sticking out of girls shirts, so i buy larger or buy boys.

it's ridiculous. 

lifeforchrist
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:14 PM

yeah i even go to buy baby clothes for y girls and it's like their minidresses!

garnet83
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Saturday I went to Peaches & Cream, which always has adorable clothes and I had no complaints there at all. I would have bought one of everything there if I could have. Then I went to Target for shoes and play clothes. They were re-stocking their children clothes and rearranging some racks so I didn't really see much there. Then on to Childrens Place. That's where I saw the more mature looking clothes. It's not that they were revealing or anything like that. There's just something that doesn't seem age appropriate about them.

Quoting bcoll:

With 4 little girls of my own, I know how you feel. But there are clothes out there, I promise lol.

Where do you normally shop?

nathans_mom407
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I agree, and am starting to notice that myself since I finally had a girl

godsgirl26
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:18 PM
I agree. They are making the little girls clothes like little hoochie clothes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:18 PM

If I had my way, my girls would be wearing peter pan collars and smocked fronts with skirts down to their knees til they hit 13.  I can't stand some of the clothing I've seen in stores of late.  It's not just too mature looking (slutty!) things for young girls, but the fabrics are so damn thin you can literally see through the cotton shirts!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)