Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Fellow DFW-area Moms, Come Help Me!!

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:14 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hey, ladies! I need some recommendations regarding the local school districts, specifically for special education!

My kids are currently enrolled in DISD. Our lease is up in May, and we'll be moving somewhere with hopefully a better school district, especially for children with special needs. My oldest has CP and ADD, and my middle child (currently in Kinder) has been diagnised with ADHD and is currently undergoing testing for learning disabilities. 

We just haven't received as much "help" fron DISD as we would like; they don't seem to have the time or resources. Do any of you have any experience with special needs education in any of the neighboring districts? Any feedback, positive or negative? Thanks!!

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:20 PM
I don't have any special needs experience but I do know any district but DISD for sure.
I know highland park and frisco are good school districts. But they're also more expensive cost of living.
Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:22 PM

DISD sucks balls.  Always has.

We live in Mansfield - it's just south of Arlington.  Our schools are really really good.  That's one reason we moved here.  Our kids have been in the school district for 8 years now, and we couldn't be happier.

Alliemad_3
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this
There are literally hundreds of school districts in the metroplex. There are no easy answers.

I can tell you that you could not pay me money to have my children in Dallas ISD.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
do11face
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:24 PM
We live in Keller school district and are very happy with the schools here.
They have a pretty great special needs program, too, as far I know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:25 PM

It is a bit far, but I know that Keller and Burleson have great schools.  Other than that, I don't know. My son is registered for Fort Worth Christian Day.

Superlaura328
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Haha, well at least we are all in agreement that DISD sucks, lol!! I work in Plano so I don't want to move too far from there... I really appreciate all of this feedback!

MommyAddie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:00 PM
We don't live in Texas anymore, but we were in the West Plano district and it was wonderful. I agree with the mom who said you couldn't pay her to use DISD.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Superlaura328
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Thanks! I've heard great things about Plano ISD as well, so that is definitely one of the places we are looking. It would be most convenient, since that's where I work anyhow. 

Quoting MommyAddie:

We don't live in Texas anymore, but we were in the West Plano district and it was wonderful. I agree with the mom who said you couldn't pay her to use DISD.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)