Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

10-Year-Old Boy Found Outside Naked & Drunk After Mother Reportedly Gives Him Alcohol??

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:19 PM
  • 92 Replies

10-Year-Old Boy Found Outside Naked & Drunk After Mother Reportedly Gives Him Alcohol

Posted by Kiri Blakeley on February 18, 2013 

A mother has been arrested after her 10-year-old son was found wandering around outside drunk and naked. Yes, you read that right. He was naked. And drunk. And he's ten. Okay, let's back up here, shall we? Reportedly Nedra Byrd's neighbor found the boy wandering around outside in Spring Hill, Florida -- he naked, scared and banging on doors for help. She took him into her own home to get him dressed and there she put him to bed. Then she went over to her neighbor's home. When no one answered, she reportedly cracked open the door and found Byrd asleep on the couch. Police arrive. Things get more awful.

When the cops awoke sleeping beauty and asked her if she'd been drinking, she reportedly replied, "Yeah, I'm drunk as hell." (Points for honesty?)

When they asked her where her son was, she said she thought he was in his room. Wrong answer. She was booked on one count of child neglect.

After interviewing the boy, cops say that he told them his mother had given him four shots of liquor. (Apparently brandy -- an almost-empty bottle was found in the home.) The boy's blood alcohol level tested at .108, which would be enough to make an adult drunk. Says the child's neighbor:

This little boy he said all I want for my mommy is to go to rehab and to get anger management because mommy drinks to feel better cause she's mad.

Interestingly, earlier reports describe Byrd as the child's "caretaker," not his mother. But the below video by 10 News does describe the boy as Byrd's son. Either way, I feel terrible for this poor little boy. (Just to play Devil's Advocate here, could the little boy have taken the booze himself after mom/caretaker passed out?) The boy is now in foster care. Thank god that neighbor didn't decide to ignore what was happening.

Police also say they believe this isn't the first time the little boy has gotten drunk -- thanks to mom.

Should this little boy be taken away permanently?
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
robyann
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:30 PM
8 moms liked this

Yes I do believe he should be taken away from his mother permanently.

Mom2five87
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Ffs. What is WRONG with people these days?!

pregnant

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Deb79
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this
How horrible poor kid. Hope someone can take care of him his Mom doesn't deserve him.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
robibuni
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Yes, he does need to be taken away, but unfortunately, foster care could really go either way for him :/

othermom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Poor kid. He needs to be taken until she can get some serious help if she ever trys to get him back

supercarp
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:42 PM

She is responsible for him, so whether she gave it to him or he got it himself while she was incapacitated is irrelevant. I don't see how parents can get drunk or high and think it doesn't affect their children.

lhiannan
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I honestly believe he should be taken away permanently *if* the mother actually did give him alcohol.  If that is not the case, then she should be forced to go through rehab, aa, parenting classes and whatever else in order to get her son back.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:45 PM
5 moms liked this

poor kids.    I do  not understand why we can't have some court- mandated enforced sterilizations.  

D.O.E.
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:45 PM

and people wonder why i have so little tolerance for moms who drink too much?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Why do these things seem to happen in Florida so often?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)