Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I lie on my resumes

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My confession. I have always gotten the jobs I have applied for, and I have stellar past employment references, but it's all a lie! I am going job hunting, and my employment history is full when I've actually been a sahm for years! Of course, I would never put down something I wasn't capable of doing.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Replies (41-49):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:14 PM
I don't live in an area with 'bigger' jobs, and I didn't hint that I am qualified for 'bigger' jobs. I said I don't apply for jobs that I am not qualified for. I have managed a roofing company, been office administrator for a marketing company and an insurance representative. 2 of which are no longer in business. I have only been a sahm for 3 years lol. I make it ckear that I do not consent to a credit check, and it has never been an issue. I can pass a background check with flying colors.

Quoting Anonymous:

Most jobs now a days (especially bigger jobs like you are trying to hint at that you are SOOOOO qualified to do) will require a credit check and some will even require background checks. You can't get a job with a company that requires these things. Sounds like you've been out of the working world so long that you have no idea how it actually works anymore. But go ahead and keep thinking you'll be able to lie your way into some amazing job without having any kind of background or credit check. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Technically, I would have to sign for permission to pull my credit. I never would, even if I didn't lie. I do stand on my own qualifications. I can do the jobs that I apply for, and I can do them well.

Quoting needadvice1983:

You do know they can pull your credit and it shows past employers on that right? All I can say is you will eventually get caught. And it won't be pretty. There are employers out there that will hire SAHMs because we make excellent managers. Be an adult and stand on your REAL merrits. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:15 PM
You must get jobs with MORONS if fake references work.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:23 PM

So why not just put that stuff on your resume? Employers understand being a SAH parent for a few years. Lots of people do it. IF you acutally have thel past employment you are listing then they will look at that and not your SAHM time. There is no reason to lie on your resume if you have REAL work history. But the fact that you feel the need to lie makes me think you are full of it. And background checks include actual employers. There are ways for them to check employment histories without just taking your references word for it. But again, you wouldn't need to have these people lie for you if you actually have the work history you claim to have. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't live in an area with 'bigger' jobs, and I didn't hint that I am qualified for 'bigger' jobs. I said I don't apply for jobs that I am not qualified for. I have managed a roofing company, been office administrator for a marketing company and an insurance representative. 2 of which are no longer in business. I have only been a sahm for 3 years lol. I make it ckear that I do not consent to a credit check, and it has never been an issue. I can pass a background check with flying colors.

Quoting Anonymous:

Most jobs now a days (especially bigger jobs like you are trying to hint at that you are SOOOOO qualified to do) will require a credit check and some will even require background checks. You can't get a job with a company that requires these things. Sounds like you've been out of the working world so long that you have no idea how it actually works anymore. But go ahead and keep thinking you'll be able to lie your way into some amazing job without having any kind of background or credit check. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Technically, I would have to sign for permission to pull my credit. I never would, even if I didn't lie. I do stand on my own qualifications. I can do the jobs that I apply for, and I can do them well.

Quoting needadvice1983:

You do know they can pull your credit and it shows past employers on that right? All I can say is you will eventually get caught. And it won't be pretty. There are employers out there that will hire SAHMs because we make excellent managers. Be an adult and stand on your REAL merrits. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:25 PM

It works lol. We're all going to die anyways so why not live the smart way. This world is soo corrupt anyways so I say f' it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:25 PM

I lie too. Usually about how long I've worked for a place. Hasn't been an issue yet. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:54 PM
Because the jobs around here are more industry specific. I use friends who are business owners in the industry, plus the jobs I have actually worked, although 2 are out of business and coukd not provide a reference. It's all about who ya know around here, and I happen to know influential people.

Quoting Anonymous:

So why not just put that stuff on your resume? Employers understand being a SAH parent for a few years. Lots of people do it. IF you acutally have thel past employment you are listing then they will look at that and not your SAHM time. There is no reason to lie on your resume if you have REAL work history. But the fact that you feel the need to lie makes me think you are full of it. And background checks include actual employers. There are ways for them to check employment histories without just taking your references word for it. But again, you wouldn't need to have these people lie for you if you actually have the work history you claim to have. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting needadvice1983:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Well good luck. If one employer finds out you are lying on your resume they will most likely spread it to the other people in the industry. Because people in specific industries tend to talk. You'll be out not only the job that finds out you are lying, but every possible job in the area. And those friends that are influential will lose their credability. I'd hate to be you if you get outted.

Quoting Anonymous:

Because the jobs around here are more industry specific. I use friends who are business owners in the industry, plus the jobs I have actually worked, although 2 are out of business and coukd not provide a reference. It's all about who ya know around here, and I happen to know influential people.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting needadvice1983:

moneysaver6
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Millions of people? I'd venture a guess that most people are honest on their resumes.

Quoting .Diddles.:

Eh, you have to do what you have to do. It's a resume and I guarantee millions of people fib on their resumes. As long as you can perform to their expectations then I don't see any problem. It's hard getting your foot in the door so you have to make them take notice some how. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:02 PM

yep, the place that i have worked at for the past 11 yrs is on top of all that. You wouldnt have a chance hun!

Quoting Anonymous:

Places do and will check past employment history and not hire you. If you get a job and your employer ever finds out that you lied on your resume/application they can fire you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured