Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Officially microwaveless! Heated my coffee on the stove, lol

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:30 PM
  • 13 Replies
Our appliances all pretty much died at the same time. We moved into this house a few months ago and one by one they all died.

Instead of replacing the microwave over the oven, we got double ovens. They were installed over the weekend.

At first I was standing there kind of feeling lost bc I didn't have a 20 sec place to heat up my cup ... But I poured it into a small pan and heated it up and it took maybe 3 minutes.

Anyone else ditch the microwave?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
redneckmama4
by Loree on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:31 PM
We haven't had one since we moved to MT, about five months ago.
iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:32 PM
My mom did. She has a small (I mean tiny!) kitchen. She says she doesn't miss it. I have pondered ditching it, too. What about defrosting meat, though? I guess not everyone uses the microwave for that but that is,one of the things that held me back.
VannaMae307
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:32 PM

We didn't have a microwave for a long time, about a year. I got used to reheating things in the oven, I still do it because it makes the reheated things more juicy and not so fried and dried out.

You lost me on the coffee part though. Your coffee went cold in your cup and you reheated on the stove? I would have just made fresh coffee, in that case.

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Nope, that is one appliance I am never going to be without.  In fact we have a backup if the built in ever dies.  It's the old counter microwave that we used before we renovated the kitchen. When we lost power due to Hurricane Irene, We pulled that puppy out of storage and plugged it in the generator!  

sandra_t00
by ChaChi on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:34 PM
We have one, but only use it when we are in a hurry. I like heating food up in the oven or stove top. I have never used it for coffee. I have a teapot.
VannaMae307
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Dh defrosts meat in the sink in water, so not everyone uses the microwave for it

just fyi, you seemed like you wanted an answer...right?

Quoting iamcafemom83:

My mom did. She has a small (I mean tiny!) kitchen. She says she doesn't miss it. I have pondered ditching it, too. What about defrosting meat, though? I guess not everyone uses the microwave for that but that is,one of the things that held me back.

brvdsmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:35 PM

we haven't had one in 3+ years and don't miss it at all. our last house had one built in over the stove and i never used it

Sweets32285
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:35 PM
I didn't have one for a few months. My son decided to microwave a bunch of stuff while I was in the shower. So glad my oldest got me before something bad happened. It was a small fire... I was lost without it. Especially when I went to make popcorn. It sucked to make it on the stove, but we did it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NoahandEliza
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Our microwave blew last week. Some people have bottled water, flashlights, batteries...not me. I have random extra microwaves in my basement! They came from relatives or neighbors that moved and I always have one handy. I usually do leftovers for lunch so I looove my microwave too much to give it up.
Hyman
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:07 PM
I came home with a coffee and funny enough my coffee maker decided to get clogged about a week ago and I haven't made the jump to buy a new one lol. So yeah. It's a bad month or so in appliance history for me ;)

But I had to warm it up and I stood there like ... Now what. Lol.

Quoting VannaMae307:

We didn't have a microwave for a long time, about a year. I got used to reheating things in the oven, I still do it because it makes the reheated things more juicy and not so fried and dried out.

You lost me on the coffee part though. Your coffee went cold in your cup and you reheated on the stove? I would have just made fresh coffee, in that case.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)