Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you ditch a friend for this?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 33 Replies

Would you ditch a friend for telling other people personal things you told them in confidence?  A friend of mine was telling me that after I left the playground with my kids that she was telling the other moms why I was stressed.  So, she basically told me upfront that she told them my personal business.  This is not the first time.  I haven't said anything yet, but I feel like I do not want a friend like this.  What do you think?  TIA

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:53 PM

If you told her in comfidence and she broke your trust, do you really respect her ? No. I can't be friends with people I dont respect.

whooperz
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Yes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
heathakeen
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this

You need to tell her, otherwise she won't know that she is doing anything wrong.  If you still feel like this, just do not be so open with her about your personal issues.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Yes, I feel such a lack of respect for her now.  But mostly, I feel like she doesn't respect me because if she did, she wouldn't talk about me behind my back.  Thank u for your input!

ShutterFreak03
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:55 PM
I would ditch her in a heartbeat.
Sekirei
by Nari on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Yup... I need friends I can trust.. everyone does

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:55 PM
I'd be done. I don't need someone in my life who just randomly blabs my shit out to anyone with ears.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:57 PM

How close of a friend is she? With my closest friends there is an unspoken agreement that anything we discuss is between the 2 of us. However, I tend to not confide too much in people I'm not that close with because having the "can I trust you" conversation is awkward. Maybe you can just bring it up to her and let her know that you thought you were speaking in confidence, and maybe let it be known that you expect to be able to trust her with future conversations. Or just chalk her up to the kind of friend that is good for playdates and stuff, but not really for spilling your guts to. Ya know?

LiesLiesLies
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:57 PM
I agree..if she told you about it clearly she doesn't think she is doing anything wrong.

I value my friendships too much for things like this to end them...unless she continued telling people after I had been completely upfront to her about keeping my life private.

Quoting heathakeen:

You need to tell her, otherwise she won't know that she is doing anything wrong.  If you still feel like this, just do not be so open with her about your personal issues.

Lalalie
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:58 PM

If she told you upfront about it then maybe she doesn't understand 'personal'... so no, I wouldn't want a friend that didn't get that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN