Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should a parent make a child feel they are ugly?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

I raised both of my daughers to be their own person. Dont do something because you want to please someone else, you have to please yourself. My daughters both have natural beauty and I have always told them they are beautiful and dont need make up. My 15 year old loved the way she looked. She had beautiful long hair, big hazel eyes, little on the thin side and only about 5'3. My daughter has a horse and she loved wearing her straight leg jeans with her western boots and a t-shirt. this was her style. Her father and new wife have convinced my daughter she looked ugly, unhealthy, too skinny and short to be attractive. My husband convinced her to cut her hair off, wear make up and made her change the way she dressed. She now has an attitude that the way she looked before she was ugly and sickly and it was all my fault.  She braggs that she wears make up and looks a lot older than what she is and she thinks she needs it to look pretty. To me I think this is wrong to tell a child you look terrible and you need to change because I say so. Her father made her change her whole style just to please him. You dont tell someone you are ugly and sickly looking. My older daughter was anorexia at the age of 8 because of her father abusing her and telling her she was fat and ugly. My oldest daughter was also on the thin side and in no way she was ever fat or even a little overweight. I see the same thing happeneing all over again with my younger daughter.

Just like to get some opinions of other mothers.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
winkyloafer
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:14 PM
My mom did with me. I don't plan to do the same with my daughter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
D.O.E.
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:16 PM

that is not just terrible, it is FUCKING terrible. wtf!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:20 PM

do they have to see thier dad? it may be unhealthly for them to see him.. I would try to take him to court & get his rights taken away. have your kids hide a tape recorder on them & once you have the proff of his verbal abuse you can let the court hear it.

RedSoxWife
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:21 PM
I have boys, one is super skinny and one is.... husky. I just tell them that you look like daddy did, and you look like mommy did. You grow and change, but you'll always be handsome.
I grew up with everyone calling me fat. Guess what? I grew into it I'm not skinny now, but I'm not obese.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JadsW
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this
No, no, no, no, fuck no.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hyman
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Sons and daughters should know how handsome and beautiful their parents think they are ...

It goes such a long way for confidence in girls when parents let them know how beautiful they are. My dad always did and it stuck with me even until now.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:25 PM

That is terrible of him! We are raising 1 girl and are always praising her and telling her she's great just the way she is. I can't imagine teaching your child she is not good enough just being herself.

I'm sorry she, and you, are having to go through this.

Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Whatever happened to telling your child "You're beautiful just being you!"???

catrig
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:29 PM
I make it a point to build my kids up, not tear them down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Umm I'd be in court fast and divorcing my husband
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)