Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My daughter has horrible asthma...help!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 107 Replies
My 3 year old was just diagnosed with asthma. She's had a cough for a long time and as of recently it has gotten so bad. The poor kid sleeps in the bathroom some nights because she's so scared she's going to throw up. She has thrown up a couple times already. At the doctor 2 weeks ago they finally diagnosed her. They sent us home with a nebulizer and meds. She gets 5 breathing treatments a day...3 albuterol and 2 budesonide. Her cough is still so bad...she's exhausted all day from coughing so much. Is there anything else I can do to help her? I feel so awful for her...
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IFartGlitter
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Lemon and eucalyptus oil on the chest can really help.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:55 PM
Where do I buy the oil?

Quoting IFartGlitter:

IFartGlitter
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:57 PM

unless you have a store nearby that carries essential oils, you have to order it online.

Quoting Anonymous:

Where do I buy the oil?

Quoting IFartGlitter:

Farmlady09
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:16 PM
2 moms liked this

I make a very basic homemade type Vicks ~ and it doesn't burn. It's 1/2 cup coconut oil, 1/4 cup shea butter or cocoa butter, 1 teaspoon eucalyptus oil, 1/2 teaspoon each lavender oil, rosemary oil, and peppermint oil. I melt the oil and butter and then stir in the essential oils and put it in a little jar.

You can make her a homemade cough remedy from honey and lemon juice that will at least soothe her throat and esophagus. Google natural remedies and research them!! Can't stress that enough!! Plain honey and lemon tastes good and does wonders all by itself.

I buy essential oils online from different sources, including amazon ~ and aim for a good quality, decent price (watch the shipping charges depending on the company!!).

The other things I would consider doing would be to scrap ALL chemical cleaners, soaps (including detergent), and 'stink pretty' things such as air fresheners and candles. Make your laundry detergent (your daughter wears clothing washed in it daily, and sleeps in bedding washed with it), make your household cleaners from natural things such as vinegar, salt, baking soda, etc. (you can add essential oils and still get the 'stink pretty' without harmful chemicals and toxic buildup). You can also add essential oils to either baking soda or plain water for air fresheners that are chemical free. The plus is that while essential oils seem expensive, a few drops are all that is needed and a 2 ounce bottle will last you months. Vinegar, baking soda, and the homemade laundry detergent cost pennies instead of dollars to make and use.

Because your daughter is also likely spending little time outdoors, I would have her tested to check her Vit D levels, her B vitamin levels, etc. because if they are low, it increases her chances of catching every bug that is going around and you want to keep her safe from the respiratory things. Something else you can do is make Vit C for her to take that comes from orange/lemon peels. Zest them and let them dry, and than grind them to a powder and just store in a jar. You can add up to a teaspoon a day to smoothies, other juices, etc. and unlike the Vit C that is sold, it's completely absorbed.

If you live in a large town or city, I'd consider getting a good air cleaner as well, to try and cut down on the outdoor pollution that gets trapped and builds up in homes. A natural fiber mattress/pillow/and bedding would be a must as well, regardless of the expense.

It only takes a few minutes to mix up the cleaners, about a half hour ever few weeks for the detergent, and basic salves and such only take the time to melt the oils to prepare. All of the commercially available cleaners and products build up in your home ~ and they stay there indefinitely, even after you no longer smell the fragrances they add (which are often extra chemicals). The 'green' cleaners are available, but many are mislabeled, and most are cost prohibitive.

Good luck and I hope that she feels better.

xtwistedxlovex
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Does she have a humidifier in her room? If not, she should.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Yes she has a cool mist humidifier that I run every night.

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

Does she have a humidifier in her room? If not, she should.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Thank you!!

Quoting Farmlady09:

I make a very basic homemade type Vicks ~ and it doesn't burn. It's 1/2 cup coconut oil, 1/4 cup shea butter or cocoa butter, 1 teaspoon eucalyptus oil, 1/2 teaspoon each lavender oil, rosemary oil, and peppermint oil. I melt the oil and butter and then stir in the essential oils and put it in a little jar.

You can make her a homemade cough remedy from honey and lemon juice that will at least soothe her throat and esophagus. Google natural remedies and research them!! Can't stress that enough!! Plain honey and lemon tastes good and does wonders all by itself.

I buy essential oils online from different sources, including amazon ~ and aim for a good quality, decent price (watch the shipping charges depending on the company!!).

The other things I would consider doing would be to scrap ALL chemical cleaners, soaps (including detergent), and 'stink pretty' things such as air fresheners and candles. Make your laundry detergent (your daughter wears clothing washed in it daily, and sleeps in bedding washed with it), make your household cleaners from natural things such as vinegar, salt, baking soda, etc. (you can add essential oils and still get the 'stink pretty' without harmful chemicals and toxic buildup). You can also add essential oils to either baking soda or plain water for air fresheners that are chemical free. The plus is that while essential oils seem expensive, a few drops are all that is needed and a 2 ounce bottle will last you months. Vinegar, baking soda, and the homemade laundry detergent cost pennies instead of dollars to make and use.

Because your daughter is also likely spending little time outdoors, I would have her tested to check her Vit D levels, her B vitamin levels, etc. because if they are low, it increases her chances of catching every bug that is going around and you want to keep her safe from the respiratory things. Something else you can do is make Vit C for her to take that comes from orange/lemon peels. Zest them and let them dry, and than grind them to a powder and just store in a jar. You can add up to a teaspoon a day to smoothies, other juices, etc. and unlike the Vit C that is sold, it's completely absorbed.

If you live in a large town or city, I'd consider getting a good air cleaner as well, to try and cut down on the outdoor pollution that gets trapped and builds up in homes. A natural fiber mattress/pillow/and bedding would be a must as well, regardless of the expense.

It only takes a few minutes to mix up the cleaners, about a half hour ever few weeks for the detergent, and basic salves and such only take the time to melt the oils to prepare. All of the commercially available cleaners and products build up in your home ~ and they stay there indefinitely, even after you no longer smell the fragrances they add (which are often extra chemicals). The 'green' cleaners are available, but many are mislabeled, and most are cost prohibitive.

Good luck and I hope that she feels better.

weezer_cookie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:30 PM
Has she seen an allergist as well? My lungs only flair up around certain things - like cats or mold. Do you have lots of carpet?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:30 PM

doesn't sound normal to me, and you should take her back in, pronto..if she's THAT exhausted, something isn't working, and the dr needs to do his job and figure out what is going to make her better.  

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Give it some time...hugs and prayers. Hang in there.  It may take some time for her body to react to treatment. When my son had severe asthma it took some courses of oral steroid treatments on top of all that. Hang in there.

ETA he is 12 now and hasn't had an asthma attack since 2010.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)