Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Minimum wage increases for 2013?

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:06 PM
  • 17 Replies

President Obama has called for an increase in the federal minimum wage - to $9 an hour. In addition, President Obama has also proposed indexing the minimum wage to inflation, so it would increase when the cost of living increases. However, legislation would need to be passed by Congress for the minimum wage to be increased.  Here's a list of the currentminimum wage rate for each state.

The minimum wage increased in 10 states on January 1, 2013. Here's a list of the states and the new minimum wage for each location.

• Arizona - $7.80
  • Colorado - $7.78
  • Florida - $7.79
  • Missouri - $7.35
  • Montana - $7.80
  • Ohio - $7.85
  • Oregon - $8.95
  • Rhode Island - $7.75
  • Vermont - $8.60
  • Washington - $9.19

The federal minimum wage remains at $7.25 per hour. The last increase was in 2009. If an employee is subject to both the state and federal minimum wage laws, the employee is entitled to the higher of the two minimum wages.

http://jobsearch.about.com/b/2013/02/15/minimum-wage-increases-for-2013.htm

What do you think? Personally, there is no way I can support my family on my measly $7.55 an hour wage, and I work full time. We're currently facing eviction.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Every time it went up in oregon, so did the cost of living. it was so hard to survive there

I make less than their minimum in arkansas and I'm doing pretty well

I think its a very very stupid idea
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this

It will just make the cost of everything else go up unfortunately, which will not help anyone. Businesses will pass the cost along to the consurmer. 

kkkaaayyyy
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Once minimum wage goes up, everything else goes up. It's a never ending disaster.

MissTyff
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:11 PM

This.

(Except I don't live in Oregon or Arkansas =P)

Quoting TiffanyRose06:

Every time it went up in oregon, so did the cost of living. it was so hard to survive there

I make less than their minimum in arkansas and I'm doing pretty well

I think its a very very stupid idea

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:11 PM

i think min wage jobs are for teens and college kids. if you didnt learn a trade and u make min wage u messed up somewhere and its your own fault so i dont care to raise the pay you knew you would make when you failed to live up to your potential.. i know there are exceptions, but they are few and far between.  excuses dont count for shit at the end of the day...

Pink.Sunshine
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Well this doesn't affect my state and honestly it would need to be at least a dollar higher to make much difference for our cost of living.
cLanief
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:14 PM
I live in WA... our minimum wage is higher than that. It goes up every year.
miss_lisa
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:14 PM
It wouldn't make a difference for my area. The lowest paying jobs are still $12-13/hr (cost of living is extremely high).

I agree with the federal increase though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Quoting kkkaaayyyy:

Once minimum wage goes up, everything else goes up. It's a never ending disaster.

Lyssa0587
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:15 PM

agree....

Quoting Anonymous:

i think min wage jobs are for teens and college kids. if you didnt learn a trade and u make min wage u messed up somewhere and its your own fault so i dont care to raise the pay you knew you would make when you failed to live up to your potential.. i know there are exceptions, but they are few and far between.  excuses dont count for shit at the end of the day...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)