Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My family is too good for clipping coupons!

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:11 PM
  • 78 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you coupon?

Options:

Yes - Extremely

Yes - Regularly

Once in while

No time or patience

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 157

View Results

Not really!  I would actually love to learn more about couponing... To an extent.

I watched part of the TV show "Extreme Couponing" yesterday for the first time.  I just couldn't believe what I saw.  These people made couponing their life. I have to admit the savings were amazing! One stay at home mom spends 35 hours a week on her couponing.  Might as well get a good paying FT job. lol.  It just seems so tedious and time consuming.  I myself would like to start clipping coupons, finding ads and matching them with double coupon days, but more like an hour a week? I love getting things for free, I LOVE to save money and catch sales.  But what I noticed on the show was most of the free food these families were getting was just junk.  They were getting hundreds of dollars in free groceries, which means the majority of their meals are made up of these foods they were getting.  Food coupons are typically for processed, prepackaged foods anyway, right?  I saw hot dogs, cookies, boxed foods, soda and canned beverages, chips, canned foods, frozen processed foods, snack type foods.  I just can't see myself packing my pantry with this stuff despite how cheap it is, or even free.  Trust, I could definitely use some savings.  But when shopping for food, I TRY hard to chose better options.  I mean, we do eat snacks and treats.  We eat cereal and pasta.  It'd be nice to save money on those things!  And TP, paper towels, tooth paste and other necessities.  I try hard to stock mostly fresh foods, and it's not cheap.  So to save money on the non-food stuff would be great.  IMO, fresh fruits and veggies are cheaper than shopping in the "middle isles" anyway.  

Anyway, I just can't see feeding my kids all that crap filled with artifical ingredients, that is over processed and chemically infused just because it's cheaper or free.  Do you coupon? To what extent?  Would you feed it to your family because it's free????

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aisforawesome
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I always clip them but then forget to use them....

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:14 PM
Yes, but not to that extent. Besides, most stores have limit policies, so trips like that are not a reality anyways
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MaMa.Lu
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:16 PM

I clip coupons and can save....maybe 20% off of my bill? Not a ton but it's "fun" to save nonetheless. 

I typically use it for things like Cereal, Yogurt, Eggs, Milk, toiletries, etc. I pay attention to adds for fruits/veggies/meat that's on sale for the week. 

bcoll
by Brandi on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Eh, we don't use coupons.

We're not too good. It's not a negative thought about them, it's just not a thought at all I guess.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:18 PM
For me, time is money.

I have better things to do then try to save a couple dollars on groceries.
Mom2five87
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:18 PM

I did it for a while and I got some really good deals on certain things. But I found that I really ended up spending more in the long run because I bought a lot of things that I wouldn't normally even buy if I didn't have a coupon for it. Plus, it is very time consuming and takes a lot of organization. I can't keep up with it anymore.

pregnant

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

kzuehlk
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I used to coupon, but then I started working full time/over time and just didn't have the energy. I bought a huge stock pile of pampers diaper wipes that cost $.12 a pack and lasted me over a year. I haven't bought razors, shampoo, tooth paste, pens/pencils, cleaning supplies, and deodorant in almost 2 years (finally starting to run out) and most of those things I got either free or super cheap
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
davnrori
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:23 PM
4 moms liked this

I don't have the time or the patience for that bs. I feel like my time is worth more than coupons would save me so I'm not really saving money. I wouldn't want to be an extreme couponer. I mean, how exactly is it saving money if you get 35 cans of cat food for $0.14 but you don't have a cat? Once you buy 24 tubes of toothpaste, 97 deoderants, and 50 mouthwashes, why would you buy more? Does anyone really need 60 bottles of Gatoraide? Even if you get it for $0.90? If I'm buying even $0.01 of stuff that I'm not going to use, that is a waste of $0.01. I don't know why those extreme couponers spend 50hrs a week couponing to buy a bunch of stuff they're never going to use. It's only a value if you're getting use out of it. Our family doesn't eat processed food, we don't eat chips, we don't drink soda. There are no coupons for fresh food, so no, besides being a waste of my time, there are never any coupons I would ever use.

zildjans_mom
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:23 PM
I use them a lot and match sales with dbl and endless dbl day. But my store only doubles up to the cost of an item. We can also only use 5 coupons per order on dbl day and 10 per order on dbl dbl day but the savings I get are worth the multiple orders. I also by no means have all the stuff those women get. In the summer I will end up with 10-15 bottles of bbq sauce and the same with mayo. But we have a lot of cookouts so I use it. I don't generally overstock
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kitschy
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:25 PM
We don't clip coupons. It's not out of snobbery it's just that coupons for anything we use are few and far between. It doesn't make sense to me spending an hour to save ยข30.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)