Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this fat? (pics) (edited)

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:46 PM
  • 274 Replies

My son is 12, and every time we go to the doc she tells us he REALLY needs to lose weight.She's not quiet about it either, she called him chubs last time we went. (I have no intention of going back, we've been looking for a new doctor ever since..)

I look at him and honestly don't see a fat kid. He's getting very self conscious about it and it hurts me. He's a very active kid, he eats healthy and doesn't eat too much. I tell him all the time he just comes from big stock and he's fine and will grow into whatever he thinks is extra right now.. I think the real problem is all his friends are toothpicks, but I'm wondering if I'm blinded by a mother's love.

Please be honest, he wants to go join a gym or something to lose weight and I keep telling him he doesn't need it, should I take him?

**EDIT**

I put the rest of the family in the pic so you could see the "big stock" he comes from.. We walk the dogs every night after school, around 10 blocks through the neighborhood, he goes skating twice a week for 3+ hours, he swims regularly in our pool, he rides bikes and does that rip stick thing ALL the time, he plays maybe 2 hours of xbox a week and only watches tv in bed before he falls asleep. We're a no soda house except on special occassions, I don't know when the last time I bought a bag of chips was, we don't do fast food, we DO eat a lot of pasta, but hey, we're Italian.. He eats fruits and veggies and doesn't drink sugary juices often.. His diet is just about perfect, honestly. And he runs non stop from the time he gets home from school until I drag him inside for dinner and a shower.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:47 PM
4 moms liked this
He's not fat.

He is chubby though.

I'd definitley let him go to the gym if he wants.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NewInChrist
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:47 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't see it at all. Poor kid :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:48 PM
4 moms liked this

He's definitely a little on the bigger side. I wouldn't say he was fat, just chubby.

Anonymous
1 mom liked this

He is a little on the heavy side but then again my DS is one of those "toothpick" kids.

Anonymous
1 mom liked this

He is a little big for his age. I can't tell by looking at him that he eats healthy or is very active.

Anonymous
1 mom liked this
It looks like maybe he can lose about 10 pds. He's not HUGE like your dr is basically saying though.
flowerfunleah
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:50 PM
2 moms liked this

Let him join a gym, never too early to start!

Antonia464
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:50 PM
1 mom liked this

He is a bit chubby, but goodness he's a cute kid. I'd say if he wants to join a gym, let him. It will boost his self confidence.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:50 PM
6 moms liked this

yes, most definitley he is very over weight. 

thatsamorex2
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:50 PM
1 mom liked this

He's chubby.I see nothing wrong with him going to the gym.I would let him if its something he really wants to do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured