Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teachers and what we hate about you! UPDATE

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Ok, perhaps hate is too strong a word. I will forfeit hate, and, replace with (strongly) dislike about parents.

Our job is to teach your children, according to the curriculum given for the grade being taught.

We aim to target all the different exceptionalities as much as possible. That is, the good teachers will try their utmost to do this.

What we hope parents will do to help their children is do the follow up at home. Read with them. Go through the homework with them. This will help kids to process and retain what they learned in school. If they do this regularly, even if they forgot about a test one day, they would still do great! Don't teach them to only study for tests...that isn't enough. Encourage them to be lifelong learners, by giving a damn about their education. Teachers can only do their part...parents need to help too!

Update: if all you took away from this is that I didn't give you a 1 to 10 detailing what I dislike about parents, you are completely missing the point. Read between the lines. The title is supposed to catch your attention! 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:02 PM
2 moms liked this

I am not a teacher, but I try to get this through my DH's head all the time. To be fair, our first grader DOES have an unusual amount of homework and I know he gets frustrated sometimes that we spend our entire evening at the table rather than doing family things or letting kids be kids. He thinks that if they send home that much work they must not be doing much during the day and when our kid falls behind or gets a low grade on a test he thinks its because the teacher doesn't know how to teach. I know over the next few years his mind will change, I think he just doesn't get how little attention can be given one on one when you have a class of 20+ first graders. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this

It really only takes 15 mins or so for the young ones. Maybe 30 mins or more from grade 5 onwards through middle school.

Quoting mayalove:

Yep, I'm a teacher in an inner city scho. Most the parents could Cate less about their child's education.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:02 PM
7 moms liked this
I can't do follow up work at home as he never has any homework or brings anything home. Teachers are the ones who are teaching kids to only study for tests. Most normal parents give a damn about their kid's education.
LeahJ
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:05 PM
I WISH it only took us 30 minutes with our middle school child. It's a nightmare. But that doesn't mean we blow him off. It just means my life is a living hell when it comes to his homework. Lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

It really only takes 15 mins or so for the young ones. Maybe 30 mins or more from grade 5 onwards through middle school.

Quoting mayalove:

Yep, I'm a teacher in an inner city scho. Most the parents could Cate less about their child's education.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GotSomeKids
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Right on!!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Sure you can, you just think you can't.

Reading is a follow up to any school work. They learn sentence structure, vocabulary, syntax etc. your job is to stay on the ball and ASK what is being taught so you can follow up.

Yes, teachers must be trying to sabotage their students so of course they want them to only study for tests.

Quoting Anonymous:

I can't do follow up work at home as he never has any homework or brings anything home. Teachers are the ones who are teaching kids to only study for tests. Most normal parents give a damn about their kid's education.

lkane81
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Im not a teacher but i agree. I also think most of ur ability to judge what a student needs and control ur class has been taken away.

Like for.example my dd us in first grade and her teacher has to pratically teach them how ti speed read per state requirement vs teaching the phonics of a word and emphasizeing comprehenion.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Sometimes it takes organizing their papers, subjects and so on. Some teachers feel a lot of hw is necessary, others are moving away from this.

Quoting LeahJ:

I WISH it only took us 30 minutes with our middle school child. It's a nightmare. But that doesn't mean we blow him off. It just means my life is a living hell when it comes to his homework. Lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mayalove:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Montessori is excellent in teaching phonetically, they read in most cases starting at age 3!

Quoting lkane81:

Im not a teacher but i agree. I also think most of ur ability to judge what a student needs and control ur class has been taken away.

Like for.example my dd us in first grade and her teacher has to pratically teach them how ti speed read per state requirement vs teaching the phonics of a word and emphasizeing comprehenion.

headingsouth13
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:11 PM

i am assuming you are a teacher. am i right? if so can i ask you a few questions?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured