Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Teachers and what we hate about you! UPDATE

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Ok, perhaps hate is too strong a word. I will forfeit hate, and, replace with (strongly) dislike about parents.

Our job is to teach your children, according to the curriculum given for the grade being taught.

We aim to target all the different exceptionalities as much as possible. That is, the good teachers will try their utmost to do this.

What we hope parents will do to help their children is do the follow up at home. Read with them. Go through the homework with them. This will help kids to process and retain what they learned in school. If they do this regularly, even if they forgot about a test one day, they would still do great! Don't teach them to only study for tests...that isn't enough. Encourage them to be lifelong learners, by giving a damn about their education. Teachers can only do their part...parents need to help too!

Update: if all you took away from this is that I didn't give you a 1 to 10 detailing what I dislike about parents, you are completely missing the point. Read between the lines. The title is supposed to catch your attention! 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Replies (51-60):
chickensmommy
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:44 PM
2 moms liked this
Yes! That is exactly my issue! I want to have time to play with my child, not be told how to play.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Maybe the parents would enjoy spending THEIR VERSION of quality time with their children, instead of teacher directed "quality time" dictated by way of board games and cut outs.

I wouldn't consider doing assigned work, no matter what it is, to be "quality family time", personally.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sad. Showing that negative attitude to your child will help in her hatred towards school.

Quoting chickensmommy:

No, we consider it work. Actually, I consider it to be bullshit.

Quoting Anonymous:

You don't consider reading, arts and crafts, and playing games FAMILY TIME?

Quoting chickensmommy:

My Dd is in kindegarten. Her teacher expects us to do homework, cut out game pieces and play games, do specific arts and crafts and read every night. I resent her. It cuts into our family time and Dd is exhausted by 730. It is too much for a five year old.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting chickensmommy:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting chickensmommy:

My Dd is in kindegarten. Her teacher expects us to do homework, cut out game pieces and play games, do specific arts and crafts and read every night. I resent her. It cuts into our family time and Dd is exhausted by 730. It is too much for a five year old.

You're the parent this post is about, huh?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Lol I have two parents who actually got the district to agree not to have me teach EVERYDAY MATH in my class. I'm the ONLY teacher not. Lol 2 parents allowed that much power because they don't like the newly adopted curriculum.

Quoting momtolittleg:

Quoting happy2bmom25:

What frustrates me about teachers:

_when they dont give parents at least an outline of what is going on at school, so reinforcement is a possibility

_when they are not prepared to teach new math, and present it incorrectly.

_when they dont respond to emails within 24 hours.

_they work 3/4 time for full time pay

_when they blame parents when they fail

_when they dont tell me someone hit my kid

I have many more

You must've dealt with some crappy teachers. Who does that stuff?

How about parents who refuse to acknowledge "new math" and keep telling their kid that they're doing it wrong?  And I hate when parents think that teachers don't work full time. 

AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:46 PM
7 moms liked this

Learning is golden here too - but expecting to load a young child up with hours of homework (even if it is "fun") and expecting her family to comply because it *can be* family time isn't so "golden" to me. I would rather my kindergartner not be doing assigned work until bed time; instead reading a book, perhaps not assigned, but that we both enjoy... or gardening... or playing a board game that we, as a family enjoy - but that doesn't come home in a folder.

Maybe I've had bad homework experience but I'll tell you what - nothing irritates me more than when young children come home from school and barely have time to eat and shower before bed after the insane load of homework is completed.

Quoting Anonymous:

I love reading and doing school projects with my first grader. I couldn't imagine seeing that as a chore. It's HUGE quality time. Learning is GOLDEN in this house.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Maybe the parents would enjoy spending THEIR VERSION of quality time with their children, instead of teacher directed "quality time" dictated by way of board games and cut outs.

I wouldn't consider doing assigned work, no matter what it is, to be "quality family time", personally.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sad. Showing that negative attitude to your child will help in her hatred towards school.

Quoting chickensmommy:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting chickensmommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Punkslilncs
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM

And what I hate about my son's teacher is that my son is struggling, he is special needs, he gets read to every night, we go over his site words, and work with him on his home work, but because she sees a decline in him it must be that we aren't working with him, and I wanna scream I HAVE TWO KIDS!!! I am stuck with about 3-4 hours of home work alone, then reading and such and I have two kids both are special needs. 

chickensmommy
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Learning is important here too. Her dad teaches third grade. We just don't like being dictated to. My Dd is very bright and ahead of her peers.

Quoting Anonymous:

I love reading and doing school projects with my first grader. I couldn't imagine seeing that as a chore. It's HUGE quality time. Learning is GOLDEN in this house.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting chickensmommy:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting chickensmommy:

KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I home school...  so yeah, I "work" with my kids non-stop.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't know how working parents do it. You figure you get home around 5:30-6:00. Lets say it takes about 15 mins to get coats off and go potty. Lets pretend that you're Rachel Ray and can actually make a healthy dinner in 30 mins or less. Eating dinner would probably be another 30. So now it's 6:45-7:15, depending on when you get home. You now have to help the kids do homework, get them bathed and ready for bed. If bedtime is 8:00, then they are going to bed late.

Quoting chickensmommy:

It sucks up the rest of the evening in my district.

Quoting Anonymous:

My son is 3 and has autism. I hope I have a long way to go before he starts getting homework. I don't know how I will be able to work full time, make dinner, and have to help him with homework all before his bed time.

TheMrs407
by Emerald Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:56 PM
3 moms liked this

From my experience most parents care, they just don't know what to do. I think as teachers we forget what has become second nature and common sense to us, is not to everyone. As a young teacher I was afraid to tell parents how to educate their children, but I have found many appreciate it. I know as a parent I appreciate those in other professions (doctors, coaches, etc) helping me.

I think it also helps to be understanding. Most teachers are parents too, we get it. Yes, my dd had spaghetOs for dinner because life was crazy today and no, we don't have another child yet because we have to live on a budget. You can't practice sight words EVERY dang night...We get it. Most of us live it. However I don't see as many teachers practicing this understanding as many who live it.

chickensmommy
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:56 PM
It's a reality here.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't know how working parents do it. You figure you get home around 5:30-6:00. Lets say it takes about 15 mins to get coats off and go potty. Lets pretend that you're Rachel Ray and can actually make a healthy dinner in 30 mins or less. Eating dinner would probably be another 30. So now it's 6:45-7:15, depending on when you get home. You now have to help the kids do homework, get them bathed and ready for bed. If bedtime is 8:00, then they are going to bed late.

Quoting chickensmommy:

It sucks up the rest of the evening in my district.

Quoting Anonymous:

My son is 3 and has autism. I hope I have a long way to go before he starts getting homework. I don't know how I will be able to work full time, make dinner, and have to help him with homework all before his bed time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)