Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Teachers and what we hate about you! UPDATE

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Ok, perhaps hate is too strong a word. I will forfeit hate, and, replace with (strongly) dislike about parents.

Our job is to teach your children, according to the curriculum given for the grade being taught.

We aim to target all the different exceptionalities as much as possible. That is, the good teachers will try their utmost to do this.

What we hope parents will do to help their children is do the follow up at home. Read with them. Go through the homework with them. This will help kids to process and retain what they learned in school. If they do this regularly, even if they forgot about a test one day, they would still do great! Don't teach them to only study for tests...that isn't enough. Encourage them to be lifelong learners, by giving a damn about their education. Teachers can only do their part...parents need to help too!

Update: if all you took away from this is that I didn't give you a 1 to 10 detailing what I dislike about parents, you are completely missing the point. Read between the lines. The title is supposed to catch your attention! 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Replies (61-70):
LadyNCVE
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:00 PM
My child's education is my second job. I make a great effort to continue education at home. It's you bad some parents don't make much of an effort at all. It's hard working full time and being a single mom. My STBX is very involved but their learning is more my priority than his. My 5 year old is very smart. We taught him a lot of things before he started. I didn't want to be one of those parents that left it up to kindergarten to teach basic math and reading skills. I know his teacher has a lesson plan, but I wish she would consider his advancements when giving him lessons. :/ it's never perfect. But I'm a supporter in the team teaching.
Roo1234
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:02 PM
I have seen such expressions from both groups. It is sad.
Too often there seems to be an adversarial relationship between parents and teachers. It is as if both sides forget that they are actually on the same side: the child.
Both sides make assumptions, both sides jump from zero to sixty with a first incident as easily as if it was the twelfth time. More often than not little effort is made to clearly communicate helpful expectations and guidance as to what is most helpful for the individual student.

Efforts have to be made to make what seems obvious to each side clear to the other without judgement or snarkiness and even then, there will still be some on both sides that won't get the message either because they are incapable of thinking outside of their own point of view, or because they simple just don't care to change.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Honestly, most parents are supportive and want the best, but don't know what/how. My advice? Just try.
pinkysmommy720
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Only complaint I have about my kids teachers is they don't communicate like they should with the parents.

LUVMIBEBE07
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:09 PM

I'm in Fla and we have FCAT, it is horrible, my daughter used to bring home 2hrs of homework home in 3rd grade. and she was a great straight A student, worked independently and rarely had to ask for help. I knew some parents that struggled horribly. Now I have a kindergartner, that'svery ADHD, and I am dreading the homework to come. I have been a single stay at home mom since his birth and returning to work in a month, I will be working 4-6 days a week  7a-7p, so I'll be out by 6a and not home till 8p. So I am in the process of hiring a caregiver for both my son and I,  someone that will work with him academically  and take care of my home, so when I am off I can spend  quality time with him rather than doing laundry or mopping. When I talked this over with the teachers they said "oh thats too many hours" but its what I gotta do for my family now, I know we [parents] put alot of pressure on teachers but we have to work together, mom's that can stay home and be class parents help out the parents that do have extremly demanding jobs. Also, don't be so critical of those parents that can't give time so give money/supplies/snacks. I am lucky to be able to do both now, and hope I am not looked down upon when I am not able to make the class party, but buy the pizzas. Life isn't always fair, circumstances suck sometimes. I have been very lucky to be able to stay home for last 5 years. I guess my point here is DON'T judge!! juggling

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:13 PM

I don't know, eventually you might be able to read between the lines. Maybe your kids can help you.

The title, like most in MC, is meant to grab your attention. Perhaps you're just to thick to know that.

Quoting Farmlady09:

I only see a list of things you would like parents to do ... nothing there about what you hate or don't like.

If you gave an assignment with the title of this post and a student turned in a paper that didn't address the topic, what grade would you give them?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:14 PM
I hope a have a while before I'm sucked into that. It would be even better if the school system would just extend the school day and do away with homework.

Quoting chickensmommy:

It's a reality here.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't know how working parents do it. You figure you get home around 5:30-6:00. Lets say it takes about 15 mins to get coats off and go potty. Lets pretend that you're Rachel Ray and can actually make a healthy dinner in 30 mins or less. Eating dinner would probably be another 30. So now it's 6:45-7:15, depending on when you get home. You now have to help the kids do homework, get them bathed and ready for bed. If bedtime is 8:00, then they are going to bed late.

Quoting chickensmommy:

It sucks up the rest of the evening in my district.

Quoting Anonymous:

My son is 3 and has autism. I hope I have a long way to go before he starts getting homework. I don't know how I will be able to work full time, make dinner, and have to help him with homework all before his bed time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Sure you can, shoot.

Quoting headingsouth13:

i am assuming you are a teacher. am i right? if so can i ask you a few questions?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I get paid 10 months of the year. My pay is pretty shitty, but I'm still prepared to do the best I can in the classroom.

It is hard taking this crap from parents, when they've never had to deal with what goes on in a classroom. 

Not all teachers are horrible, sad that you found them to be this way.

Quoting happy2bmom25:

What frustrates me about teachers:
_when they dont give parents at least an outline of what is going on at school, so reinforcement is a possibility
_when they are not prepared to teach new math, and present it incorrectly.
_when they dont respond to emails within 24 hours.
_they work 3/4 time for full time pay
_when they blame parents when they fail
_when they dont tell me someone hit my kid
I have many more

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Couldnt games, art projects and stories be family activities?

Quoting chickensmommy:

My Dd is in kindegarten. Her teacher expects us to do homework, cut out game pieces and play games, do specific arts and crafts and read every night. I resent her. It cuts into our family time and Dd is exhausted by 730. It is too much for a five year old.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN