Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Im listening to my iPod at full blast to drown out my child's crying. *etu*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

He's 7, not a baby.  And he problems with sassing back lately.  Just constantly being contrary and sassing back.

Today I told him he needed to get out of the bath.  He sweetly asked for more time, I said 5mins.  He asked for more.  I said ok.

25mins later I said "ok sweets, time to get out"

he replied with "no! I will not! I say when I get out NOT YOU!"

Well then.  I took the plug. Said sternly without yelling "you will get out this instant and get dressed young man." and walked out.

He got out, got dressed. I tucked him in and let him know since he was so ungrateful for the extra 25mins I gave him, I would be taking the time back by not reading him a story.  I reminded him if he escalated so would his consequence.

He is now in his room screaming and crying how he hates me, trying to bait me but not leaving his room. 

So Im listening to music instead of him hoping he falls asleep and feeling frustrated, mean and exhausted.

EDIT:

I want to thank all the moms who gave me such helpful suggestions and advice.  I used a timer tonight and explained the time would not be extended, that when it went off it was done.  When it went off I went in and took the plug and left him to come out on his own (he did in a reasonable time, after doing the butt slide thing lol).

He went to bed without arguments, escalation or battles.  

The timer and no negotiation suggestions were life savers, thanks to the 2 moms that made those suggestions! You guys rock!

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:53 PM
Replies (31-40):
20Keller12
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Would you go back and actually read the post? He's being punished because HE MOUTHED OFF.

Quoting Anonymous:

Umm, correct me if I'm wrong, but saying YES SWEETIE YOU CAN HAVE AN EXTRA 25 MINUTES then getting him out of the bath 25 minutes later and THEN SAYING AFTER THE 25 MINUTES: NO YOU DON'T GET STORY TIME, 

YES THIS IS A PUNISHMENT. You're in denial if you think you're going to get a good mommy award tonight. Get off the cell phone and ipod and go read your child a freaking book, think of all those Sandy Ridge parents who wish they could have given their kid a 25 minute bath and then read their kid a book to sleep.

Quoting Anonymous:

he wasnt punished for getting extra 25 mins, smh.

Quoting Anonymous:

i AGREE WITH THE FIRST COMMENTER, That was very immature of you to discipline him for you giving im extra time, it's not a punishment to let him have an extra 25 minutes in the tub and you get 25 minutes free!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this

we live in a small place, we are one room apart.  Not hard to hear him.  Letting him cio at 7yrs is not going to kill him.  Not all kids need to be mollycoddled

Quoting jillbailey26:

So screaming to the point that you have to put on headphones is okay to do?

Quoting Anonymous:

from experience with him, the more attention he gets the more he'll push his limits.  If I go in and talk to him he will think he got away with it.

Quoting jillbailey26:

If it were my kid, I'd go talk to him.  All that carrying on is a waste of time and energy.  If he has school tomorrow, he's just keeping himself up later and he may be a pain in the morning too.  So, I would discuss what happened, how to make it so it doesn't happen again, kiss him good night, and tell him it's time to settle down now.

momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Napoleon Dynamite voice: Lucky

must be nice. Not all children are easy going and easy to calm. Mine is just like me, and loves to argue. 

Quoting jillbailey26:

Quoting momtolittleg:

Quoting jillbailey26:

If it were my kid, I'd go talk to him.  All that carrying on is a waste of time and energy.  If he has school tomorrow, he's just keeping himself up later and he may be a pain in the morning too.  So, I would discuss what happened, how to make it so it doesn't happen again, kiss him good night, and tell him it's time to settle down now.

My DD can't be reasoned with when she's worked up. For me, going in there would just incite another argument and make things escalate. 

Mine calm down when I tell them to, I refuse to talk to them over a screaming hissy fit.  I don't think they've ever done anything that the OP has described because we don't allow it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Is it immature to punish a child who tells you off? That is absolutely unacceptable.

Quoting Anonymous:

i AGREE WITH THE FIRST COMMENTER, That was very immature of you to discipline him for you giving im extra time, it's not a punishment to let him have an extra 25 minutes in the tub and you get 25 minutes free!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:08 PM

That's a good idea.  Will definately be using the timer idea next time, thanks

Quoting RiotousDigits:

You asked for it.  Now you need to deal with it.

Next time set definite limits and stick to them.  Get a timer for the bathroom, set it for 15-20 min and when it goes of, bath is done.  End of story

You're letting your kid call the shots.  Better nip that in the bud.

jillbailey26
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:09 PM

I didn't say it wouldn't kill him.  I asked you if it was okay to do.

Quoting Anonymous:

we live in a small place, we are one room apart.  Not hard to hear him.  Letting him cio at 7yrs is not going to kill him.  Not all kids need to be mollycoddled

Quoting jillbailey26:

So screaming to the point that you have to put on headphones is okay to do?

Quoting Anonymous:

from experience with him, the more attention he gets the more he'll push his limits.  If I go in and talk to him he will think he got away with it.

Quoting jillbailey26:

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Umm, correct me if I'm wrong, but saying YES SWEETIE YOU CAN HAVE AN EXTRA 25 MINUTES then getting him out of the bath 25 minutes later and THEN SAYING AFTER THE 25 MINUTES: NO YOU DON'T GET STORY TIME, 

YES THIS IS A PUNISHMENT. You're in denial if you think you're going to get a good mommy award tonight. Get off the cell phone and ipod and go read your child a freaking book, think of all those Sandy Ridge parents who wish they could have given their kid a 25 minute bath and then read their kid a book to sleep.

Quoting Anonymous:

he wasnt punished for getting extra 25 mins, smh.

Quoting Anonymous:

And next time he wants to mouth off, he'll think: last time, I got my way AND a book read to me.  This is awesome.  Mommy has no balls!

yep, because she wants him to continue this behavior. 

MrS.GiFFord
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:10 PM
I usually blink the light off and on...that gets them out lol. You did the right thing though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:10 PM

She's gonna pull a muscle doing that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)