Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

when someone tells me they homeschool, I automatically feel bad for the kid.....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'm sure there are specific cases which are an exception....but all the adults I've ever met that were homeschooled as a child have been weird as hell. I don't know if it's a trend or not...but I sure as hell am not going to do that to my kid!

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe you're just a weirdo magnet. Weirdoes can pick out their own even if you're too weird to realize it.
katarina666
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:11 PM
4 moms liked this

Yeah sure they were weird .Like they were intelligent non-brain washed sheeeple? Grow up!

elliotmommytobe
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Then maybe thats just from my experience

Quoting LivysMama:

Maybe some kids don't, but the home school group I was in was very social. In high school I had a full calendar of activities. Classes that I took outside the home, bowling, home ec, Key Club, student council...it was just like public school in most ways.

I honestly feel that the socialization is better for home schoolers because we socialize with people of all age groups. Public school is limiting in that you are in a room with kids your own age all through school (with the obvious exceptions). That will never happen again in life.

Not bashing public school...just a point to consider :)

Quoting elliotmommytobe:

They dont get as much socialization as children who attend public school

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LivysMama
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:12 PM
3 moms liked this

Also, just one more thing and I'll go away, I promise.

Some people are just socially awkward. Public, private, or home school they are just...well...awkward.

nazgor
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:12 PM
el oh el.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kmary
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I only know 3 adults who were homeschooled as children and they are absolutely very odd.  And two out of three of them have told me multiple times that they really wished they'd just gone to school.  But I understand that is only 3 out of thousands or maybe millions around the world...

That being said (and I really do support a parent's choice and right to homeschool) there seems to be a disconnect between the stats that homeschooling families insist are true and what's happening, at least where I live.  All I read is how students who are homeschooled score better than their public educated peers and are better prepared for college and life, etc.   But our local community college (which has been named the number one community college in our large state and even in the country several times) has an entire tutoring program created specifically to "catch up" homeschooled students.  And the program is overflowing with students...students who seem to know a lot of factual, academic information but absolutely can not function in a college setting whatsoever and who are terrible at things like college-level writing, for example.  Honestly not trying to make a statement or judgment one way or another (though it may seem that way) but I just find it interesting. 

It seems to me that if children could have some sort of schedule where they had the best of both worlds:  both typical schooling and homeschooling, that perhaps that would better serve them in the long run.  Not sure how that would work, though.

mommyrustina
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Personally, I know weird and socially inept people from all different backgrounds. Maybe you are the one that is socially stilted if your social exposure is so limited.

fluffball80
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:21 PM
2 moms liked this

I guess my daughter didn't get enough socialization when I homeschool her.  She was only in swimming lessons, ballet, two different ice skating lessons, fall and spring soccer, and gymnastics.  Only swimming was with other homeschoolers.  All other activities were in the afternoon with those dreaded public school kids.  We also did homeschool PE.  Yep you are right.  She missed out on so much socialization.

Quoting elliotmommytobe:

They dont get as much socialization as children who attend public school

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:23 PM
3 moms liked this

I went to a public school and I'm quite strange. 

motherslove82
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I know a lot of former homeschoolers. One is a nurse who is married with two kids. One is a musician, one is in college to be an engineer. My nephew is homeschooling because he works in Pigeon Forge. Last year he did a show at Dollywood. This year he is doing Country Tonight. He has his own CD and is doing really well. He will be 12 this month. He is homeschooled through his public school and makes straight A's. both of his parents are teachers, though, so that helps.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)