Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

when someone tells me they homeschool, I automatically feel bad for the kid.....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'm sure there are specific cases which are an exception....but all the adults I've ever met that were homeschooled as a child have been weird as hell. I don't know if it's a trend or not...but I sure as hell am not going to do that to my kid!

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Replies (391-394):
sha_lyn68
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Then you weren't homeschooled.  Online public schools tend to be isolating because of the amount of work given and the large amount of time spent on the computer. Homeschoolers are typically outside of the home several times a week taking classes at co-ops and through local venues.

Quoting ohbamitsans:

Online school public school. Why?

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting ohbamitsans:

I was homeschooled, on the computer. It's hard to make friends that way so I would never let my child do homeschooling but I'm not judging other people that do.

Were you actually homeschooled or was it a online public school program?

CatFishMom
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

(sigh) People think anything outside their own 'norm' is weird, so your definition of 'weird' differs greatly from mine and likely many other homeschoolers. To me it's 'weird' to allow your life to be dictated by a school calendar and attendance policy, telling you when you can take a vacation, if your kid is allowed (due to absences) to attend a family wedding or funeral, etc, or to have a stranger take control of your kid for six or more hours every day. You think my life is weird, I think public schoolers' lives are weird, so it's all in perspective-and every perspective is going to be skewed due to personal experiences, so that statement is redundant. I can say the same back to you, as in your perspective is skewed because youve never homeschooled (I assume, due to your seeming disdain for a life you apparently know nothing about).

I worked retail for more than ten years. My son can carry on a full, comprehensive and polite conversation with a grown adult or another small child, it matters not in the slightest to him of age-a lot of adults I met working retail cant say that, so THAT is where that statement comes from.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting CatFishMom:

An advanced, happy child. Absolutely weird, youre so right. If I said the same and he was in public school, you wouldnt even have blinked at the post so maybe you should think about the double standard there.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting CatFishMom:

Besides the entire thing?

I think your perspective is skewed.  Example?  Saying your 4 year old socializes better than most adults.

Also, he's 4; that's too young for the weirdness homeschooling brings to set in.

moneysaver6
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Well then I'll just blow your socks off because my kids are involved with multiple homeschooling groups which are filled with older kids & teens.

They're well-adjusted socially. Well, except for this one kid who was just pulled out of public school and had to be told that we don't consider cussing to be necessary, cool, or acceptable in public or around children. That's okay, it can take the public school kids a while to "normalize" and no longer be the socially-awkward kids that they were. Wait. What? Yeah, that's what I said. The kids coming out of the public schools here can barely manage to grunt a greeting to anyone...but THEY'RE supposed to be the social norm?

On the other hand, the majority of the teens have or will start college by 15 or 16. Many are already interning or otherwise training in the fields which they hope to pursue as an adult. Not one has any trouble "socializing" with any child or adult who has been likewise properly "socialized".

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting CatFishMom:

An advanced, happy child. Absolutely weird, youre so right. If I said the same and he was in public school, you wouldnt even have blinked at the post so maybe you should think about the double standard there.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting CatFishMom:

Besides the entire thing?

I think your perspective is skewed.  Example?  Saying your 4 year old socializes better than most adults.

Also, he's 4; that's too young for the weirdness homeschooling brings to set in.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 61 on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:58 AM

You know why I'm weird??

Because Public School fucked me up!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)