Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

when someone tells me they homeschool, I automatically feel bad for the kid.....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'm sure there are specific cases which are an exception....but all the adults I've ever met that were homeschooled as a child have been weird as hell. I don't know if it's a trend or not...but I sure as hell am not going to do that to my kid!

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Replies (41-50):
ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:25 PM

i hear ya. I hate when people assume that about homeschooler. My son in signing up for Little League, peewee football. We go to church. We go on playdates. We go to a co-op & we go on monthly field trips with other homeschoolers lol. We get plently of socialization. When my daughter is older I will see if she wants to do more sports but she's only 2 right now.

Quoting fluffball80:

I guess my daughter didn't get enough socialization when I homeschool her.  She was only in swimming lessons, ballet, two different ice skating lessons, fall and spring soccer, and gymnastics.  Only swimming was with other homeschoolers.  All other activities were in the afternoon with those dreaded public school kids.  We also did homeschool PE.  Yep you are right.  She missed out on so much socialization.

Quoting elliotmommytobe:

They dont get as much socialization as children who attend public school

mich.el.le
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I think times have really changed with homeschooling. When I was growing up, homeschool kids were weeeeird, but now I see homeschool kids, teens, and young adults and they are fine.

mommyrustina
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:26 PM
2 moms liked this

Thus far, I have found the opposite to be true. If my children were in a public school, they would be sitting in a classroom with thirty other children of the exact same race and the same age. Instead, they get to learn and socialize with children of all different ages and backgrounds. Plus, we have more time for activities and real world learning experiences. Our co-op has a variety of enrichment classes, the families go on field trips quite often, and just last week we had a valentine's day party that a total of sixty children attended. 

Quoting elliotmommytobe:

fraujones
by Mommytron on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:27 PM
2 moms liked this
I was homeschooled and I hated it. I am weird.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:28 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting elliotmommytobe:

When do kids get to socialize in school? From what I've heard on here lunches often have "no talking" rules and a lot of schools have taken away recess.

edelweiss23
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:28 PM
3 moms liked this
My parents raised and homeschooled 2 doctors, a RN and a professional musician. All jobs that require extensive interaction with the public.
None of us are socially innept. In fact quite the opposite.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:29 PM
I guess she'd think I was weird as well!

Quoting dedicatedrider:

Guess you'd think I'm weird then. Oh well, not like I care what a random internet stranger thinks of me.

tennisgal
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:29 PM

This homeschooling mom admits that we LIKE staying home throughout the week. lol!! For years when we first started I always felt like I had to "prove" my kids were social enough and we had to constantly be going, but then I realized that the boys (and I) enjoy being home. We are content to be at home (which was the main goal when the boys were little b/c we didn't have money to go, go, go) but also that we enjoy being together. We go out about three days/week but the rest of the week we're usually found at home. 

*This was not directed at you, just a general statement (or confession, hehehe). 

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

i hear ya. I hate when people assume that about homeschooler. My son in signing up for Little League, peewee football. We go to church. We go on playdates. We go to a co-op & we go on monthly field trips with other homeschoolers lol. We get plently of socialization. When my daughter is older I will see if she wants to do more sports but she's only 2 right now.

Quoting fluffball80:

I guess my daughter didn't get enough socialization when I homeschool her.  She was only in swimming lessons, ballet, two different ice skating lessons, fall and spring soccer, and gymnastics.  Only swimming was with other homeschoolers.  All other activities were in the afternoon with those dreaded public school kids.  We also did homeschool PE.  Yep you are right.  She missed out on so much socialization.

Quoting elliotmommytobe:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Nope, homeschoolers get more socialization than public school kids.

Quoting elliotmommytobe:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Most of the hs parents Ive met are normal and intelligent people.  I'd never hs, I dont have the patience or abilities.  I feel more comfortable with my child being taught by a professional teacher, but if a parent feels confident enough to do it, why not?

Like everything else, there will be good and bad parents who do it.  Just like in public school there are good and bad parents, how dont do homework, participate, study ect.

why judge others?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured