Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

MIL invited people to stay in our vacation home

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Let me start from the beginning. There is going to be a family reunion in Disney World this spring for DH's whole family. We have a time share there that has 2 bedrooms and a living room and we were able to arrange to use some of our time during the  reunion, it is 6 nights, 7 days.

MIL and FIL asked if they could stay with us, knowing about our time share. Of the rooms, there is a master bedroom with a king size bed and a full size pull out couch. There is a living room with a full size fold out couch and then there is a second bedroom with two full size beds. There is 2 bathrooms and a small kitchen so with 2 people per bed that's 10 people plus we will have our baby's pack and play for her to sleep in.

So we figured we could give MIL and FIL the king bed in the master bedroom (they are bigger then me and DH and would not be comfortable sharing a full size bed) and our 4 and 9 year old sons would sleep on the fold out couch in the master bedroom. Our 17 year old DD and her friend who lives with us (her parents are military and were stationed in Germany and agreed to let her stay with us so that she could stay in high school) will sleep on the fold out couch.  That leaves our 6 and 13 year old girls in one bed in the second bedroom and me and DH in the other with our 7 month on in the portable pack and play.

This should be very comfortable, maybe a little tight with the bathrooms. But then MIL mentioned that SIL and BIL and their 7 and 3 year old could not afford a hotel so SHE invited them to stay with us too. I asked where she thought they would sleep and she said "we will make it work" I told her no, we are already maxed out on beds and 11 people including 3 teen girls and 2 women sharing 2 bathrooms. There is no room for air mattresses when the couches are folded out and when we have the pack and play up.

I am so mad at MIL that after we were nice enough to let them stay with us, she felt the need to overcrowd us with 4 more people without even asking. I told her that she will need to tell them that they can't stay with us. That's they way she is though, give her an inch, she will take a mile

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Ummm ok i get she shouldn't of invited people to YOUR time share, but what are people to good to sleep on the floor anymore? They have these things called sleeping bags, throw em on the floor and let the kids sleep in them. And please on the bathrooms. You tell the girls you get so many minutes and your done. Hair and make up don't HAVE to be done in a bathroom. Some people take showers at night, some in the morning. Make your in laws and everyone else chip in for food. 

flcowgrl23
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:40 PM
Maybe since they're feeling so generous to offer your space, you could suggest they go in on a hotel with bil and sil that way they have some where to stay and you have your space!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Give MIL/FIL a standard size bed and tell them they will have to share it with BIL/SIL.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:43 PM

She said there is no floor space available when the sofas are pulled out.  The place is already tight, and who the hell wants to go on vacation and sleep on the floor and share a bathroom with 15 other people when trying to get ready in the morning?   They won't get out of there until 2PM when they have to wait for more hot water.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ummm ok i get she shouldn't of invited people to YOUR time share, but what are people to good to sleep on the floor anymore? They have these things called sleeping bags, throw em on the floor and let the kids sleep in them. And please on the bathrooms. You tell the girls you get so many minutes and your done. Hair and make up don't HAVE to be done in a bathroom. Some people take showers at night, some in the morning. Make your in laws and everyone else chip in for food. 

CjEmmemommy
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Ugh such disrespect makes me so mad..

You should say no and mention she is welcome to rent a room for her and the other family to stay in if she prefers.

anotherhalf
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:44 PM

My MIL invited herself on our family vacation to Hawaii.  Oh hell, no!

jnw2992
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Idk my family is so close id do w/e I could to make it work for everyone but I understand ur point hun sorry
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:49 PM

There isn't really room on the floor even once the pack and play is set up and the fold out couches are out. Plus, my kids are not going to sleep on the floor so that we can house even more people, we can't take in everyone. As for the bathrooms, after being in the parks all day, EVERYONE will need a shower/bath, even if each person only takes a 10 minute shower (which I know is not going to happen, I don't think MIL has taken a less then 30 min shower in her life) it will take close to an hour just to get everyone showered, that's if SIL, BIL and the 2 kids are NOT with us. This is our vacation,which me and DH work hard for, it is supposed to be relaxing and fun not stuck in a time share meant for 10 with 15 people

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:50 PM

6 people in one bed?

Quoting Anonymous:

Give MIL/FIL a standard size bed and tell them they will have to share it with BIL/SIL.

Elle.tea.22
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I would uninvited her as is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN