Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I think I'm going to start a cleaning bussiness -does anyone else own one?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 52 Replies
I currently work in insurance full time- I love it but my hours are really long and I'd like to be more available for my two school age children.

I make $40,000 a year.

I'm choosing a cleaning business because start up is low and aside from learning how to professionally clean, it's seems pretty simple.

I'm going to have my dad build a website and do the marketing, I plan on hiring one part time employee to do the cleaning to start and hopefully build from there. During all of this I have to continue working until (hopefully) I land enough clients to quit my job and focus on building my business.

I am nervous, I've never owned my own business before and I don't know what to expect. Does anyone have experience/ advice?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:22 PM
You should take some business classes and definitely accounting before starting a business. That's my suggestion.
bigmessylife
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:26 PM
I owned one before I had my kids. It was the best money I have ever made and I have a bachelor's degree. The downside was that I developed carpal tunnel so quickly and severely that I needed surgery. I unexpectedly got pregnant, shut down my business, and didn't need surgery once my wrists had a few months of rest.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Well I have cleaning people who do my house every week.  If you want a customers perspective ask away.  The one who cleans my house is the one who owns the business. She is licensed, bonded, and insured.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Quoting bigmessylife:

I owned one before I had my kids. It was the best money I have ever made and I have a bachelor's degree. The downside was that I developed carpal tunnel so quickly and severely that I needed surgery. I unexpectedly got pregnant, shut down my business, and didn't need surgery once my wrists had a few months of rest.

Why didn't you hire help so you could continue?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:29 PM
No its a waste of time and money. Unless you know people who are going to use you everyday and pay over 200 a week its not worth it.

I use to own one and shut my business down after two big clients moved. I wasn't making enough without them to carry my insurance, my bond or cleaning supplies.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:30 PM

me too... I will be glad to give a perspective from the customers point of view too.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well I have cleaning people who do my house every week.  If you want a customers perspective ask away.  The one who cleans my house is the one who owns the business. She is licensed, bonded, and insured.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

License, bonding and liability insurance are a must.

How did she find you as a client?
What keeps you loyal?
Is there anything she can do to improve her services?
I'm thinking of doing a non-toxic service- would this interest you?
bigmessylife
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

I live in NY, the most small business unfriendly state. It would have been a huge undertaking to hire employees and stay in the black with the increase in insurance costs and taxes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

Perfect!

License, bonding and liability insurance are a must.

How did she find you as a client?
What keeps you loyal?
Is there anything she can do to improve her services?
I'm thinking of doing a non-toxic service- would this interest you?

How much do you pay?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)