Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My confession: I believe women like this are stupid.

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:42 PM
  • 62 Replies

So, I had to find an article for school that I disagreed with and offer a rebuttal. I wanted to see if anyone could possibly agree with this crap. Below I have copy and pasted the article:

The Cons of Breastfeeding

In breastfeeding, feminism, motherhood on 9 March 2011 at 10:15 pm

Breastfeeding is not all it’s cracked up to be. And the reasons for breastfeeding that most people give are not very smart, unfortunately.

Reason #1. “It’s best for my child! Studies show it is!”

Answer: These studies are stupid. Sorry, but there it is, and here’s why: they all assume that correlation equals causation. I dare anyone to show me a study about breastfeeding that doesn’t do this. Guess what else breastfeeding correlates to? Being educated and having money. So what really makes the difference – are smart, healthy children smart and healthy because they were breastfed, or because they were raised by educated, middle-class parents? Who knows? Breastfeeding “research” sure doesn’t.

Reason #2: “Well, even if it doesn’t necessarily make my baby smarter, it DOES make it healthier!! I care about my child’s health!”

Answer: Again, I dare you to produce research that doesn’t assume that correlation equals causation. I double dare you to produce research that compares breastfeeding to modern formulas (most studies are longitudinal and therefore compare breastfeeding to the formulas of 15 or 20 years ago).

Reason #3: “But the American Academy of Pediatrics/Dr. Sears/my mom/my OBGYN/La Leche says so!’

Answer: Appeal to authority is no argument. All those people are wrong unless they have thoughtful, logical research to back them up.

Reason #4: “But it’s good for the mom too! It helps her lose weight and stuff, and keeps her from getting cancer and stuff.”

Answer: Sure, maybe. Care to show me the research (remember, nothing that assumes correlation equals causation).

What about the downsides to breastfeeding?

Downside #1. Breastfeeding takes Dad out of the equation and makes bonding all about mommy and child, not parents and child.

Downside #2. If you work, you have to pumps. Pumps aren’t cheap, despite Mrs. Obama’s laudable efforts to make them a little more affordable. Pumping can be a logistical nightmare.

Downside #3. You must spend more time with the baby – whether you have that time or not and whether the baby needs you, specifically, or not.

Downside #4. Pushing breastfeeding as the ultimate Unshirkable Responsibility is not only based on ignorance and poor research, but it makes women who can’t breastfeed feel terrible.

There are reasons to breastfeed – it’s free, for one. But like anything else it has its downsides, and its strident champions need to be more compassionate, and more knowledgeable.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Agreed, ridiculous.

tennisgal
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:45 PM

I think I'm confused. This is the article you found that you have to write a rebuttal against??

If bfing is no healthier than why does Enfamil say in their advertising that breast is best??

newmom121812
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Agree that breast feeding isn't what it's all cracked up to be? Or that it is awesome and this person is talking out of there ass about the cons?

I bf I don't like bfing but I do feel it is the best and I don't think this person is right.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with a lot of it. Especially the "correlation does not equal causation."  Studies will never be done to control for outside circumstances, because it isn't ethical or practical.  So causation can't be determined. 

carinsmommy
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I had to write a rebuttal against this article. I was supposed to choose an article that I disagreed with and show why it was not valid. This is the article I choose.

Quoting tennisgal:

I think I'm confused. This is the article you found that you have to write a rebuttal against??

If bfing is no healthier than why does Enfamil say in their advertising that breast is best??

stargaze281
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:49 PM

this is ridiculous and senseless. lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Yet her cons are not backed by research!
Where did you find this op?

Quoting carinsmommy:

So, I had to find an article for school that I disagreed with and offer a rebuttal. I wanted to see if anyone could possibly agree with this crap. Below I have copy and pasted the article:

The Cons of Breastfeeding

In breastfeeding, feminism, motherhood on 9 March 2011 at 10:15 pm

Breastfeeding is not all it’s cracked up to be. And the reasons for breastfeeding that most people give are not very smart, unfortunately.

Reason #1. “It’s best for my child! Studies show it is!”

Answer: These studies are stupid. Sorry, but there it is, and here’s why: they all assume that correlation equals causation. I dare anyone to show me a study about breastfeeding that doesn’t do this. Guess what else breastfeeding correlates to? Being educated and having money. So what really makes the difference – are smart, healthy children smart and healthy because they were breastfed, or because they were raised by educated, middle-class parents? Who knows? Breastfeeding “research” sure doesn’t.

Reason #2: “Well, even if it doesn’t necessarily make my baby smarter, it DOES make it healthier!! I care about my child’s health!”

Answer: Again, I dare you to produce research that doesn’t assume that correlation equals causation. I double dare you to produce research that compares breastfeeding to modern formulas (most studies are longitudinal and therefore compare breastfeeding to the formulas of 15 or 20 years ago).

Reason #3: “But the American Academy of Pediatrics/Dr. Sears/my mom/my OBGYN/La Leche says so!’

Answer: Appeal to authority is no argument. All those people are wrong unless they have thoughtful, logical research to back them up.

Reason #4: “But it’s good for the mom too! It helps her lose weight and stuff, and keeps her from getting cancer and stuff.”

Answer: Sure, maybe. Care to show me the research (remember, nothing that assumes correlation equals causation).

What about the downsides to breastfeeding?

Downside #1. Breastfeeding takes Dad out of the equation and makes bonding all about mommy and child, not parents and child.

Downside #2. If you work, you have to pumps. Pumps aren’t cheap, despite Mrs. Obama’s laudable efforts to make them a little more affordable. Pumping can be a logistical nightmare.

Downside #3. You must spend more time with the baby – whether you have that time or not and whether the baby needs you, specifically, or not.

Downside #4. Pushing breastfeeding as the ultimate Unshirkable Responsibility is not only based on ignorance and poor research, but it makes women who can’t breastfeed feel terrible.

There are reasons to breastfeed – it’s free, for one. But like anything else it has its downsides, and its strident champions need to be more compassionate, and more knowledgeable.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:50 PM

you my friend, are an idiot

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Im pro formula but I think the person who write that stuff is deluded.  Mommy guilt justification is all read.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:51 PM
3 moms liked this

You know what people?  Just fucking feed your kid.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)