Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Anyone Heard Of The Mountain Meadows Massacre?

Posted by   + Show Post

This is an evil monstrosity that the LDS 'Church' did back in the mid-1800s.
I grew up LDS and never knew anything about this.
The Baker-Fancher immigrant train came to the Salt Lake Valley, planning to head west to California. The Mormons would not trade or do any business with the wagon train.
The Mormons told them that the northern passage was riddled with Natives who were angry at the white man and that the southern passage was safer and easier to travel.
This was a lie.
Also, word had been sent to the southern Mormons not to do business with the train, as well.
The morning of Monday September 7, 1857 was bright, warm.
A little boy had just sat down to eat his breakfast when he was shot and killed- the first victim.
Then followed the shooting of 10-15 more immigrants- 7 of whom died then, three of which died days later.
The train members made a circle of the wagons and dug a trench to protect themselves.
For days, there were shots fired.
Friday, Sept. 11, under the guise of surrender, a Mormon man walked into the immigrant encampment to convince the members that they should leave the area. He promised them their lives if they walked away from their weapons and belongings.
Women and men walked single file. Children and those men too injured, were pulled in a wagon- all led by Mormons.
After walking about a mile, the procession was halted.
A Mormon yelled t o his brethren "Do your duty!" and shots rang out.
Within a matter of minutes, 120+ men, women and CHILDREN were killed.
17 orphans were taken to a ranch a few miles away, to be adopted by Mormon families.

There was no reason for this massacre, other than blind devotion to a man who says he is of God.
How can this 'church' be good, when they have this history on their heads?

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:00 AM
1 mom liked this

What I don't understand about Mormons is that the 'church/organization' baptizes dead people. Anne Frank was NOT Mormon. It is so wrong.

mrspena
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:05 AM
I never heard of that. My little sister converted to LDS when she was in high school and I recetly have been reading about Mormon history to get a better understanding of the religion. I did just get done with a book about the Mormon Missouri War. It was very interesting.
As someone that is trying to understand the religion better (I do not want to convert) and I can't go to church with my sis because she lives many states away, is there any suggestions from people of this religion?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:09 AM
Read the banner of heaven it goes really in depth of the whole massacre everything leading up to it
amberstars
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:12 AM

I never knew about this.  We weren't taught this in American History in or in college. 

Dragon, wife to Eagle.  Sister-wife to Swan and Rainbow.  Author, astronomer, world traveler, gamer, & reader.  Muslim revert.  In an inter-racial and cross-cultural marriage.

faeriemom1972
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:13 AM

A lot of religions have bloodshed in the name of God in their past. Present and future too, sadly.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:17 AM

Are you a Christian? Do the Crusades mean anything to you? All through time mislead Christians have murdered people for their God. It's been over looked and many devout Christians do not see what was wrong with the Crusades or any other time in history when non-Christians have been murdered or coerced in to Christianity. Do you know what Missionaries do to those people in non-Christian areas? They manipulate them in to becoming Christians for non-insect ridden food, non-contaminated water, educations, etc.. But, for most, that's okay. Of course, if 1 group of Mormons did something or some fanatical Muslims THAT is an issue. Gotta love Christianity and their skewed view of right and wrong. Of course, if you aren't a Christian...my apologies for lumping you in with them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:17 AM
1 mom liked this
You forgot the part about how they dressed as native Americans so that they would take the blame. It was only after someone was recognized that they admitted who they were. It was all for money. After killing them they stole and sold their belongings. I always think of the surviving kids. Can you imagine having your parents murdered in front of your eyes and then being "adopted" by the murders?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:25 AM
1 mom liked this
No that is not true. The people that were massacred were all from Arkansas. They wanted to take valuables and make them leave the area. They did not like outsiders. The Mormons disguised themselves as Native Americans. The assault went on for a few days. When someone thought that the victims figured out that the attackers were white men they ordered them all killed.

Quoting katarina666:

The mountain Meadows massacre was a revenge killing .The people who were murdered by the Mormon church were from an area of the states where Mormons were run out and Joseph Smith killed  by an angry mob.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:28 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm not the OP and I'm not Christian. I don't think the crusades were ok. But this thread is not about that. You are more than welcome to start a thread about the crusades! :-)

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you a Christian? Do the Crusades mean anything to you? All through time mislead Christians have murdered people for their God. It's been over looked and many devout Christians do not see what was wrong with the Crusades or any other time in history when non-Christians have been murdered or coerced in to Christianity. Do you know what Missionaries do to those people in non-Christian areas? They manipulate them in to becoming Christians for non-insect ridden food, non-contaminated water, educations, etc.. But, for most, that's okay. Of course, if 1 group of Mormons did something or some fanatical Muslims THAT is an issue. Gotta love Christianity and their skewed view of right and wrong. Of course, if you aren't a Christian...my apologies for lumping you in with them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:37 AM

No, it's not. But religious people have been doing terrible shit since time began.  The people who did this were bad people. At least they didn't wipe out entire populations of people (hundreds of thousands of people) for their God like Christians have. And the Christians who did it weren't bad people, they did all in the name of their God.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not the OP and I'm not Christian. I don't think the crusades were ok. But this thread is not about that. You are more than welcome to start a thread about the crusades! :-)

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)