Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Anyone Heard Of The Mountain Meadows Massacre?

Posted by   + Show Post

This is an evil monstrosity that the LDS 'Church' did back in the mid-1800s.
I grew up LDS and never knew anything about this.
The Baker-Fancher immigrant train came to the Salt Lake Valley, planning to head west to California. The Mormons would not trade or do any business with the wagon train.
The Mormons told them that the northern passage was riddled with Natives who were angry at the white man and that the southern passage was safer and easier to travel.
This was a lie.
Also, word had been sent to the southern Mormons not to do business with the train, as well.
The morning of Monday September 7, 1857 was bright, warm.
A little boy had just sat down to eat his breakfast when he was shot and killed- the first victim.
Then followed the shooting of 10-15 more immigrants- 7 of whom died then, three of which died days later.
The train members made a circle of the wagons and dug a trench to protect themselves.
For days, there were shots fired.
Friday, Sept. 11, under the guise of surrender, a Mormon man walked into the immigrant encampment to convince the members that they should leave the area. He promised them their lives if they walked away from their weapons and belongings.
Women and men walked single file. Children and those men too injured, were pulled in a wagon- all led by Mormons.
After walking about a mile, the procession was halted.
A Mormon yelled t o his brethren "Do your duty!" and shots rang out.
Within a matter of minutes, 120+ men, women and CHILDREN were killed.
17 orphans were taken to a ranch a few miles away, to be adopted by Mormon families.

There was no reason for this massacre, other than blind devotion to a man who says he is of God.
How can this 'church' be good, when they have this history on their heads?

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Replies (31-40):
demonica29
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, when I had a brief bout of insanity and considered being baptized into he Mormon church, someone gave me a Mormom history book to read. Real history, written by a non-Mormon.

PinkButterfly66
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah it does.  Especially when the religon doesn't denounce it or bring the perpertrators to the criminal justice system to be tried for their crimes.  

Quoting bcoll:

I've always known about this, but I love history, especially this time period.

All I can say here is that lots of terrible things have been done in the name of God and under cover of religion. That still doesn't make the religion bad. It makes those PEOPLE bad.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:36 AM

All chruches are a cult look up the definition of the word all religions fit it .

Quoting Anonymous:

It's not a religion as much as a cult.  Like scientology. imo.

Most religions are an organized way of controlling a group of people.

Quoting Sandiekd21:

Yes, but the orders for the extermination came from the LEADERS OF THE CHURCH! You know, the infallible President of the Mormon church?

Quoting bcoll:

All I can say here is that lots of terrible things have been done in the name of God and under cover of religion. That still doesn't make the religion bad. It makes those PEOPLE bad.

demonica29
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:36 AM

The only difference between a religion and a cult is the number of members. 

Quoting Anonymous:

They can't. I think their "religion" is a cult anyway. I've met quite a few Mormons and they are nice people for the most part, but, their religion makes no sense. I tried to read the Book of Mormon, (I try to keep an open mind about other faiths and beliefs) but, it is the most confusing (and scrambled up) thing I have ever tried to read and understand. It's gibberish.

Sandiekd21
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Are you kiddding me? The Mormons were originally from Missouri.
And, they ran to the Utah Territory, where the leader of the time proclaimed was Zion and they should build their temple upon the sacred grounds.
So, it sounds like they were HAPPY to be run out of Missouri.
What revenge was needed from these Arkansans?

Quoting katarina666:

The mountain Meadows massacre was a revenge killing .The people who were murdered by the Mormon church were from an area of the states where Mormons were run out and Joseph Smith killed  by an angry mob.

BlessedBeX3
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:40 AM

eeesh...i'm staying out of this post lol. too much heebee jeebee attached to it

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, it's pretty messed up. :( especially the children.
motherslove82
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:45 AM

How can any white person be good when they have a history of owning slaves?

How can any German be good with the holocaust in there history?

How can any black person be good when they have a history of selling their own people into slavery?

How can any American be good after what was done to the Native Americans?

Do you see where I am going with this?

mrspena
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Do you know the name of the book?

Quoting demonica29:

Yeah, when I had a brief bout of insanity and considered being baptized into he Mormon church, someone gave me a Mormom history book to read. Real history, written by a non-Mormon.

demonica29
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Not only do they not denounce it, it my experience most of them don't admit it. And trust me, I've asked a lot of Mormoms about it, including Bishops and Missionaries.  I had a co-worker who I used to discuss the LDS church with, he was very open, intelligent and non-dogmatic, we actually exchanged opinions, not just Mormon platitudes, he had been a Missionary and has since become a Bishop.  When I asked him about the MMM, his response was, "Well, yes, that was certainly an unfortunate incident in our past.". Everyone else has pretty much changed the subject. 

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Yeah it does.  Especially when the religon doesn't denounce it or bring the perpertrators to the criminal justice system to be tried for their crimes.  

Quoting bcoll:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)