Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My questions about PA

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:58 AM
  • 27 Replies
Ok here are my questions and Im not trying to bash. I just want to understand Public Assistance a little better. And no I'm not trying to get on it.
1.I always thought there was a time limit on how long you have you be on PA unless you are disabled.
2. How are people on PA claiming taxes? Don't you have to have a Job to do so? Anld those that are, how are you getting so much back?
3. If yo say you can't get a job (those with disabled children) becaue you can't afford daycare, Doesn't PA assist with that?
4. Why do a lot of people that are on PA look at it as free money and Insurance?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Supervane
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:00 AM
There is a public assistance group, maybe you'll get better answers there...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Most people don't think that others pay taxes for their PA. Some do work jobs, but still need a little help. In areas like mine, PA doesn't help with childcare. The government/ the way it is run isn't right in my opinion, those who need it can't get it and those who don't need it (i.e. just use the money for drugs, beer, to do nothing) have free access to it. Alot of people lie about jobs or know how to get around *the system*.

mrspena
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:24 AM

I don't want to be part of a group for it since I'm not trying to be on Public Assistance. I just see alot of posts about it on here and I get confused on what I thought the way PA works and what other women are saying they do for it.

Quoting Supervane:

There is a public assistance group, maybe you'll get better answers there...

Newfie_Mom
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:31 AM
It works different in different states. I get daycare help and my sons medical Not cash or food or housing/ utilities (those are the other available services here.) I do work, I make enough for partial assistance but not enough to not get help. But it states in my paperwork if I lose my job or stop going to school I lose all available benefits minus my sons health care that's a seperate program.
Newfie_Mom
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:34 AM
Oh about the time limit I'm not sure if there is one here or what it is. It doesn't seem like it from some of the things I've seen but I haven't had the assistance long so I can't tell you for sure
mrspena
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:44 AM

I had to get my nephew on the medical PA because we took guardianship of him in October since my sister doesnt work. We tried to get him on my husbands insurance but they wouldnt allow him. the insurance says the only way he would be covered is if he wascourt ordered guardinship, foster, or adoption. it sucked. DSHS is so damn confusing.

Quoting Newfie_Mom:

It works different in different states. I get daycare help and my sons medical Not cash or food or housing/ utilities (those are the other available services here.) I do work, I make enough for partial assistance but not enough to not get help. But it states in my paperwork if I lose my job or stop going to school I lose all available benefits minus my sons health care that's a seperate program.

Newfie_Mom
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:50 AM
Very confusing. My mom went through that same scenario while adopting my two cousins. She took guardianship of them when their parents passed away (a month apart) but since they didn't specify who was supposed to take the girls specifically if something happened my mom had to petition to adopt them. While that process was going on her insurance wouldn't put them on her insurance.

Quoting mrspena:

I had to get my nephew on the medical PA because we took guardianship of him in October since my sister doesnt work. We tried to get him on my husbands insurance but they wouldnt allow him. the insurance says the only way he would be covered is if he wascourt ordered guardinship, foster, or adoption. it sucked. DSHS is so damn confusing.

Quoting Newfie_Mom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:51 AM
They passed a bill a few years ago that anyone can only get check (TANF) for 5 years in your lifetime. Food stamps and Medicaid you can get longer. After your youngest child turns 18 months for the check and 7 for food stamps you have to go through a work program. Medicaid is for children mainly unless you are disabled adult. They don't take anything back from taxes. For tanf and Medicaid they take the child support from the noncustodial parent to pay that back. If you have a disabled child that goes through social security for money and Medicaid. Food stamps if you are a single parent you won't have to work. Depends on the person if they think it is free money. As a social worker I see a lot of people walk on with name brand clothes and iPhones that I don't think should get it. Bit if they qualify they can't be denied. They system is terrible sometimes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:59 AM
1) it depends on the state. I believe cash assistance has a limit in my state, not sure about food

2) contrary to popular belief, a lot of people on PA actually work. Some work multiple jobs

3) PA does assist with daycare, but not all of it. If my kida were ALL in daycare, it would be over $4000 a month

4) most that I know on PA don't see it as free money and insurance. They see it as temporary help. (Hints the name Temporary Assistance for Needy Families)

Quoting mrspena:

Ok here are my questions and Im not trying to bash. I just want to understand Public Assistance a little better. And no I'm not trying to get on it.

1.I always thought there was a time limit on how long you have you be on PA unless you are disabled.

2. How are people on PA claiming taxes? Don't you have to have a Job to do so? Anld those that are, how are you getting so much back?

3. If yo say you can't get a job (those with disabled children) becaue you can't afford daycare, Doesn't PA assist with that?

4. Why do a lot of people that are on PA look at it as free money and Insurance?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:00 AM

1)where i live theres no limit on assistance like food stamps and isurance but there is for unemployment. you paid into these programs for years if not your whole life why should you be limited on how long you can use it the state wasnt limited on how often the can tax you for it

2)people who get on assistance usually do so because they lost their job as long as you worked the year your filing for you can claim taxes so if you lost your job at the end of 2012 and have to get on assistance you can still file and get taxes at the beginning of 2013 and people who get alot back its becasue when they filled out the paper wor for the taxes they opted to have the most taken out.

3)most states dont offer a help for daycare. mine does but you still have to pay granted not as much but still something and if you cant even afford food then odds are you cant afford that.

4) becasue as sad as it is a mojority of people take adavntage of these programs. laughing at the ones who have to pay for medical bills and grocieries and making the ones who have genuinely fallen on hard times and are only using it to get back on their feet look awful.

i use goverment assistance only when i need it. for instance when my husbands company shut down and he had to file for unemployment untill he found a job and he only got 240 a week which pretty much just covered bills so we also had to go on foodstamps luckily i married a good man and it never takes him more than 3 months to find a job but there are people out there who milk it to the fullest. staying lazy as long as they can i cant stand people like that. we get the dirty looks when we use our ebt card because of people like that. i hate being on goverment assistance because i know the sterotype that goes with it but im not to proud to deny my kids the essentials to not swallow my pride and apply anyway knowing the backlash that comes with it.

anyways i hoped that helped :)  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)