Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Maybe suicide is selfish, but calling it that only proves you don't understand

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 273 Replies
44 moms liked this
When someone is severely depressed, they aren't thinking rationally. They don't see the people around them as people they can confide in. They may feel that they have messed up their lives to the point that everyone would be better off without them.
In their minds they are doing the selfless thing, by taking themselves out of the picture. No, they don't think about the lives they leave behind, because either they don't think those people care about them or that they will be better off with them gone.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cat405
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Agreed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:26 AM
8 moms liked this

No, I think it means you do understand. I have been there, trust me. It is selfish and I know this because I am not there any more.

lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:27 AM
True
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:28 AM
16 moms liked this
By calling suicide selfish, and judging those who commit it harshly, you are making it less likely that someone who has those feelings will reach out to you for help. It only perpetuates the cycle.
little.knickers
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:31 AM
5 moms liked this
It is selfish but when you are that depressed you do not see it like that. You think it's selfish to carry on LIVING. I've been there. I almost took my life and would've left behind 5 children. When I think back....I am ashamed and embarrassed...and thankful that my auntie came home early and stopped me.

Yes suicide is selfish but there's no way I could ever judge anyone who feels that low. It's desperate, and only happens when that person feels there is no other option.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momaof8
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:32 AM

not always sometimes they are just selfish   and not trying to protect anyone. I am not talking about anyone terminal that is different,

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I would never tell someone who was prepared to commit suicide that they were selfish. However, I would remind them of all they had to live for.

Quoting Anonymous:

By calling suicide selfish, and judging those who commit it harshly, you are making it less likely that someone who has those feelings will reach out to you for help. It only perpetuates the cycle.

HaleyCovington
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:33 AM
7 moms liked this
Dumb... Just dumb... You don't think it's selfish not to think about the person who has to find you? You don't think it's selfish for you not to care how that will impact their lives??? Even if its a stranger, you're putting a horrible thing in their life because you're depressed. I will never feel sorry for someone who takes their own life. You can tell me some sad story about how they think no one cares or how they think people are better off until you're blue in the face... I will never feel a shred of sympathy for someone like that.
momaof8
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:37 AM

agreed      

Quoting HaleyCovington:

Dumb... Just dumb... You don't think it's selfish not to think about the person who has to find you? You don't think it's selfish for you not to care how that will impact their lives??? Even if its a stranger, you're putting a horrible thing in their life because you're depressed. I will never feel sorry for someone who takes their own life. You can tell me some sad story about how they think no one cares or how they think people are better off until you're blue in the face... I will never feel a shred of sympathy for someone like that.

UxorQuodMatris.
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:41 AM
30 moms liked this
I love how self righteous some of you are. Must be nice to be in a position where you feel perfectly at ease to judge someone in their darkest hours.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)