Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Maybe suicide is selfish, but calling it that only proves you don't understand

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
When someone is severely depressed, they aren't thinking rationally. They don't see the people around them as people they can confide in. They may feel that they have messed up their lives to the point that everyone would be better off without them.
In their minds they are doing the selfless thing, by taking themselves out of the picture. No, they don't think about the lives they leave behind, because either they don't think those people care about them or that they will be better off with them gone.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:19 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:43 AM
4 moms liked this
And that is why if I were having suicidal thoughts, I would not feel safe telling you about them. I would hide them. Which only makes the situation worse.

Quoting HaleyCovington:

Dumb... Just dumb... You don't think it's selfish not to think about the person who has to find you? You don't think it's selfish for you not to care how that will impact their lives??? Even if its a stranger, you're putting a horrible thing in their life because you're depressed. I will never feel sorry for someone who takes their own life. You can tell me some sad story about how they think no one cares or how they think people are better off until you're blue in the face... I will never feel a shred of sympathy for someone like that.
emandab
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:43 AM

Agreed.  And I really don't think a person that commits suicide gives a damn at that moment that it is selfish or that it means they are weak, hence the reason they are dong it.  

XJetX
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:43 AM
Really? Because I've been there, and it's a damn selfish thing to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
XJetX
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:45 AM
This. I'll never forgive myself for making that person find me the way he did.

Quoting HaleyCovington:

Dumb... Just dumb... You don't think it's selfish not to think about the person who has to find you? You don't think it's selfish for you not to care how that will impact their lives??? Even if its a stranger, you're putting a horrible thing in their life because you're depressed. I will never feel sorry for someone who takes their own life. You can tell me some sad story about how they think no one cares or how they think people are better off until you're blue in the face... I will never feel a shred of sympathy for someone like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TempestRayne
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:45 AM
4 moms liked this
Suicide is an action from someone deep in the throes of severe mental illness. The OP is right that calling them names is only more likely to make someone refuse to seek help for fear.of being stigmatized and ostracized. I don't feel that someone who is suicidal is any worse than a person who is coughing because they have the flu, or vomiting because they have a stomach virus. All of these are symptoms of an uderlying problem, not a lack of moral judgement.
HaleyCovington
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:49 AM
I'm no doctor either. Which if you're thinking of killing yourself that's what you need. Not getting help is selfish.. On YOUR part. Killing yourself is selfish... On YOUR part! No matter how you spin it. I'm not the bad guy and I'm not the one to blame. You and you alone are responsible for your actions. Blaming someone else does nothing but show that you truly are just a selfish person who can't take responsibility.

Quoting Anonymous:

And that is why if I were having suicidal thoughts, I would not feel safe telling you about them. I would hide them. Which only makes the situation worse.

Quoting HaleyCovington:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:52 AM
2 moms liked this
I've done it, but was saved (when I had no kids) , and I've still thought about it a lot. But now that I have kids, I always think I can't leave them. I do think it is selfish. And I think its wrong.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:53 AM
3 moms liked this

There are certain things people can never understand unless they have been there themselves.  Severe depression & suicidal thoughts.  Panic attacks.  Long-term abuse & rape.  PTSD.  Raising special needs children.  Certain military situations.  Pure desperation.  Finding God truthfully in your heart.

When you discuss any of these things with someone who has never been there, they may try to empathize.  But they do not really get it   And so they try to re-define it.

What ever evils they are struggling with I just hope he/she can hear the words from those of us who have been there.   You are not alone.  They are not alone.  There is help.  There is hope.  There is forgiveness.  There is happiness.  Push through and you will find it.  Don't worry about one day at a time.  Just get through this minute.  Then get through the next minute. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:56 AM
IF.....so have you ever felt so down so depressed that that was your only out? I have. I still say suicide is completely selfish.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting HaleyCovington:

momaof8
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:59 AM

at least you have a second chance to make it right. anyone who thinks it is always about them not being able to reach out or get help, it is not always the case.

Quoting XJetX:

This. I'll never forgive myself for making that person find me the way he did.

Quoting HaleyCovington:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN